Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ideas for homework please    

Ideas for homework please

Lana.
Ireland

Ideas for homework please

Dear Teachers,

waht would you recommend to give for homework to practise all the 4 skills and grammar and vocab besides without copying any grammar book or anything else?

Sorry if tough,
but thanks in advance,

Lana

P.S. All students are adults of mixed nationalities.

10 Nov 2009      

Martharamirez
Colombia

Well, in terms of listening and writing, this webpage has some nice dictations which Ss first listen to and then write on their notebook.

They are divided into different topics, so there you could review vocabulary.

On the other hand, for grammar, www.english-4u.de has a wide variety of Grammar online exercises, so you will probably find the topic you �re teaching there.

www.languageguide.org  is great for vocabulary and for speaking I �m not sure, maybe you can ask students to prepare vocabulary for a specific topic and discuss it in class the next day, or ask them to record their voices saying something about themselves. It �s hard to say without knowing what topic you �re teaching them.

Hope this works, if you students have access to Internet.

10 Nov 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thank you Martha!

What about ideas when they wouldn �t have to use the computer?

10 Nov 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

What is the level of your ss? Anyway -

1) write essays/compositions on different themes;

2) each time 1-2 ss prepare a short anecdote with questions at home; in class, the others listen to it & then answer the questions;

3) my favourite - home reading: ALL ss read the same (adapted) short story at home & prepare 2-10 questions on the story; in class, they ask each other the questions - usu it turns into a lively discussion, not only about the story but about life in general.

10 Nov 2009     

epit
Turkey

Dear Lana they can share interesting news from the world I mean they can choose the news that they find interesting.Is it ok for you ?Hugs.

10 Nov 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

More, more... (greedily).

10 Nov 2009     

customer
Italy

I sometimes ask my students to pretend to be "the teacher." They have to prepare activities for their mates and the following lesson we do them in class.
Nothing special, but it usually works.

10 Nov 2009     

reeta1
Canada

read.

11 Nov 2009     

ants
Switzerland

I had mine think of two or more words for: things that are very expensive.
three things that make you happy, 2 things are long, thin and sharp, two things that smell nice.  Things that make an unpleasant noise, things made of glass, things that can fit in your pocket, etc.
They weren �t allowed to use a dictionary at all and some found it easy and some found it more difficult.
I was surprised by some of their answers. They were really imaginative!!!Hug
You can make the list as long or as short as you like based on what they have learnt in the way of adjectives and words.
Mine enjoyed the exercise a lot and are Pre-Intermediate and Intermediate.
Fiona.

11 Nov 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thank you all, good Teachers! Thumbs Up

Hugs from cloudy Eire...

11 Nov 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

My permanent homework for my adult students is to have something to talk about each lesson. 

Lower to intermediate levels
*Something he/she saw
*Something he/she did
*Something he/she made
*Somewhere he/she went to.

etc.

Intermediate - upper intermediate levels
Also I give topics to talk about and prepare.  "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?"  "What country do you never want to visit and why?"  etc.

Upper intermediate to advanced levels
Role plays to prepare.  "You are the CFO of a company, and you have to lay off people.  Prepare what you are going to say to your staff."  "You are interviewing for a job.  Prepare what you want to tell the interviewer."

Hope this helps:)

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

11 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >