Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Students ´ Levels acc to amount of vocab    

Students ´ Levels acc to amount of vocab

Lana.
Ireland

Students ´ Levels acc to amount of vocab

Guys,

I think I need your help.

I tried googling but probably I ´m not googling the right way...

I would like to find something about the students ´ levels according to the amount of vocabulary they know, for instance Beginner 1000 words, Elementary 2000 words, and so on.

I ´ll keep looking, meanwhile do you happen to know of anything like this, please?

Thanks!

12 Nov 2009      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I think that graded readers usually have this information on the covers.

12 Nov 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Yes, dawnmain, you ´re right Penguin Readers and MacMillan readers have this classification.
Here ´s one copied from the back of a penguin Reader:
EASYSTARTS 200 HEADWORDS
LEVEL 1 300 HEADWORDS BEGINNER
LEVEL 2 600 HEADWORDS ELEMENTARY
LEVEL 3 1200 HEADWORDS PRE-INTERMEDIATE
LEVEL 4 1700 HEADWORDS INTERMEDIATE

Hope it helps, have to go. Bye

12 Nov 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thank you!

A headword is not the same as any other word? A pronoun for instance or words like "is" or "the" would not be considered headwords?

Thanks again!

12 Nov 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I guess headwords are key words or topic words, such as colours, verbs, numbers, etc.

12 Nov 2009     

gloriawpai
Brazil

n.
  1. A word, phrase, or name, usually set in boldface or other distinctive type, that serves as the heading for an entry in a dictionary, encyclopedia, or similar reference work. Also called entry word.
  2. Grammar. A word that may be modified by an adjunct.

12 Nov 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

http://lc.ust.hk/~sac/advice/english/vocabulary/V5.htm follow a link in this link and you get to what your looking for.

12 Nov 2009