Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I īll have cereals withstrawberries or I īll have some cerals with some strawberries...    

I īll have cereals withstrawberries or I īll have some cerals with some strawberries...

angela#anaconda
France

I īll have cereals withstrawberries or I īll have some cerals with some strawberries...

Hey there!

I īve always wondered what the difference was between:
I īd like "a bowl of cereal with strawberries" and  I īd like a bowl of cereal with some strawberries".
Can I have cereal? and Can I have some cereal?
What does "some" add as far as meaning is concerned?

Please tell me! I need your help, especially if English is your mother tongue.
Thanxxxxxx

15 Nov 2009      

chalco
France

Hi
I can see you are Enjoy īing (B2S1 isnt it?)!!!Wink As far as I īm concerned, I don īt think there is much difference between the two except that in the question, if you use "some" then you pre-suppose the cereal you īre asking for are actually present in the situation.

15 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, usually they īre pretty much interchangeable. The only real difference would relate to the quantity of strawberries that may be with the cereal in question. Using īsome ī often indicates a smaller (but unspecified) amount whereas just īwith strawberries ī may well indicate that there are a lot more strawberries with that particular bowl of cereal!

Cheers,
AB

15 Nov 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi, I am late to this one BUT to me... they would be this:

"A bowl of cereal with strawberries." - would mean cereal with strawberries on top or mixed in.

"A bowl of cereal with some strawberries." - would mean cereal and then some strawberries with it. i.e. on the side, not necessarily part of the cereal.

Cheers,

16 Nov 2009     

[email protected]
United States

I agree with Zora.

17 Nov 2009