Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > classic error    

classic error

_babz
Canada

classic error

Do any of your students do this mistake?

I could of went

(when it should be I could have gone)

I just finished some essays, and this error keeps on showing up this year...

18 Nov 2009      

English971
Guadeloupe

Guess u have French students................LoL..........

18 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

nice guess Sherlock!

(I wouldn �t have much of a job if I were teaching ESL in English-Canada now would I?)

thanks anywayThumbs Up

18 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I don �t know babz... you might be trying to teach them �real � English, not Canadian English (such weird accents...) LOL

18 Nov 2009     

English971
Guadeloupe

What I meant is that u should consider that point if u really want 2 help them, Watson.........LoL.......LOL

18 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

weird accents? this coming from an Australian LOL x 100

�maybe the dingo ate your baby � lol

nough said.

ps: define real English....?? lol

18 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

I would, if it were relevant to do so....but seeing as how some anglophones do it as well, I, guessing that it has nothing to do with one �s ethnic background.

hence old chap I was wondering if this was merely a case of bad spelling on the part of certain students..

cheerio

18 Nov 2009     

English971
Guadeloupe

Please, I �m not talkin � abt ethnic background but it can help to consider the language spoken by our students............and I understand that it �s not always relevant but it doesn �t mean we should not keep on tryin �...........

~~ The End ~~

LOL

18 Nov 2009     

sophiegirl67
Canada

In regard to your question "Do any of your students do this mistake? I could of went".

Yes, I have seen this error many times with my students.  I think it �s because when we utter this sentence it sometimes sounds like "of" and not "have".  I actually remember making the same mistake in spelling as a young student and English is my first language.

P.S.
I teach ESL in "English-Canada" and have a great job (in reference to "I wouldn �t have much of a job if I were teaching ESL in English-Canada now would I?")

18 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

well, �of � & �have � have similar sounds for starters, so that may add to the linguistic confusion, the meaning can be similar...

& it doesn �t just happen to French speakers... it �s a common problem for Japanese EFL students too!

�real � English, like from England, none of that North American gobbledygook... wot!!!

& remember ... o u t spells �out � not �oot �!!!

Wink
oops gotta run... it �s dingo feeding time at the station!

18 Nov 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I think they are spelling according to what they hear.  We say "could of" phonetically but it should be "could have".  We also use the contraction "could �ve"  so it could �ve been from that.  :)  Since NONE of us in this discussion are from England, we can �t attest to "real" English.  Not that it is superior.;)

18 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >