Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > TEACHING NORM    

TEACHING NORM

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

TEACHING NORM

HELLO,TEACHERS!!! I �m interested today in your teaching norm. My annual teaching norm is 648 school hours for English language or 720 school hours for Geography. What about in your country ?

18 Nov 2009      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Annual I �ve no idea ;)... but every week I teach 30 hours, here "teaching hours" are 45 minutes.

I could do more, except for usually my first class is at 7 or 8 in the morning and the last class is at 8 at night, then there is this annoying break in the middle, if they were all together I could teach much  more, but working in a Language School that �s just what you have to put up with.

18 Nov 2009     

snejankaaa
Bulgaria

I work in a state school and have yearly norm school hours for determinate salary. Every extra hour over this norm is paid high.My classes start in 7.45 and finish in 14.10- 45 minutes each-7 hours a day.

18 Nov 2009     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

The hours would be nice, but I wouldn �t work in a state school for all the money in the world!
I teach classes of 10 or less students, usually around 6. All different ages and levels (but not at the same time) and they are all there because they like English and want to learn it and they enjoy it. If you put me in a class of 30 teenagers.. usually at different levels.. usually not happy to be there... I �ve no idea what I �d do! I �ve so much respect for anyone who teaches in a state school!

18 Nov 2009     

Nereis
Argentina

In Argentina state schools have 3 teaching hours (40 � each) per week at secondary school and 2 at primary level ( in Santa Fe province only in 7th grade students have english lessons)

18 Nov 2009     

lamyaa
Egypt

here in egypt it is almost the same ...i work in a private school,  here we teach english for 11 sessions per week (40 min. each) i have 2 teach 22 sessions per week, this is the average teaching limit of english in language schools.

18 Nov 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Hi,
I work for a state school - for a low salary. My norm would be 18 hours per week, but this year I have to teach 23 hours per week (the 5 hours are paid extra). One �hour � is 50 minutes. I teach English to 10 classes, always mixed ability classes. My youngest Ss are 6 (level 1- primary garde 1), my oldest are 15 (8th grade). We have 10 minutes break after each class. There are over 20 Ss in my classes. I am also a classteacher for 28 Ss in the 5th form. A day at work can get pretty exhausting, for the above mentioned reasons! And I don �t have MY English cabinet / laboratory - That �s one reason I envy those who have such a treasure!
Hugs,
Gabitza

18 Nov 2009     

donapeter
Romania

Gabiiii....don �t envy all the teachers who have a laboratory...I have one and it �s awful!!! I have to watch the students all the time....they tend to damage things and they tend to "take" things home (keys from the keyboards, earphones and so on) It is a good thing if you teach in a good school!!! ( I guess- never been there!!) 
My classes are about 20-25 students, but the real number of students attending the classes are about 10. In the 13th grade I have 5 students who attend school. The rest of them are working.But they will come in May to have the exam. 
So.....low salary + hard work = state school !! 

18 Nov 2009