Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HELP, PLEASE!    

HELP, PLEASE!

Mar0919
Mexico

HELP, PLEASE!

Hi, guys! Guess what? I �m using a British  English textbook, (Access) for secondary school, and we �re seeing parts of the house. I came around a word I haven �t heard before, looked it up, but can �t find a satisfying translation for it.

Can anyone tell me what a "modular" is, when referring to furniture and appliances?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Mar

19 Nov 2009      

Mar0919
Mexico

Nobody home??? Snif, snif! ha ha ha! oh well, guess everyone �s gone for the day! see you guys tomorrow!

Good night!!!!!!

Mar

19 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Mar Smile

I think a "modular" is likely to be a room or building built to be easily mass produced. It will be of a generic type so that it can be combined easily with other mass produced "modular" items, almost like having a 3D model.

With regard to housing it can also mean self contained accommodation that is organized into regular sections or units.

Furniture can also be modular... like lounge suites that are in sections that can be rearranged to suit the living room space or the owners � preference.

Cheers,
AB

19 Nov 2009     

dennismychina
China

Hi Guys, my understanding is that modular is the adjective for module, which means something which is part of the whole but can be used separately.

Enjoy.

19 Nov 2009     

douglas
United States

AB and Dennis are right.  My guess is that they are talking about a modular sofa--a sofa (couch) that consists of more individual pieces that can often be arranged in different ways.

19 Nov 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear All.. THANKS!!!!! Hug  Tongue   you are all so very helpful, thanks a bunch! Dennis, Douglas... Alien Boy..... "GRACIAS!"

Mar

20 Nov 2009