Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Troubles in school    

Troubles in school

lovinglondon
Spain

Troubles in school

Hi,
In my school, and I suppose in most schools, there are a lot of discipline problems with some students. This course (since september) we have had a lot of students expelled from school. an average of 2 each week, and I consider this is too much. They are always causing problems and there are teachers who don �t know how to face that problem in the classrooms. Even their own classmates have asked to be changed from that room to another. they don �t want to be with those problematic students.
Have you got the same problem? How do you face it? Have you got any solutions apart from the 3-day suspension or 5-day suspension??? We are really desperate and you can �t imagine how the teachers who teach at 6th hour on Fridays are!!!!
I wait for your suggestions!!
Take care

21 Nov 2009      

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi Smile

I can �t complain because my school doesn �t have many discipline problems, but when students do something really nasty we usually give them a task to do which involves work at school in the canteen or helping the teachers with some papers or so, sometimes we give them extra work (homework or written exercises) that they have to solve. And this kind of punishment is really horrible for them.
When they do something during the lessons they go to a classroom where there is only one teacher waiting for them, and they have to do some written exercises until the lesson where he was supposed to be, ends. Parents are always warned about these punishments and they agree with them.
I think suspension is not a good solution because most of the times it �s exactly what students want.
Suspension sends them home, and that way they can sleep till late in the morning, and do whatever they want at home, it �s like going on holidays!

have a good weekend

21 Nov 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Hi,

I wish I had an answer on �how to deal with this issue �. But I still haven �t found it either. I can only say that in my place, here in Argentina, my colleagues and I experience the same situations. The only difference here is that students are not expelled from the school. They can jump up and down and say anything they want to you and nothing happens. I don �t think the right thing to do is to expel them from school but it �s not right to have to suffer them in class.
I wish there was a solution to this... and I think one would be to have smaller groups in class. Classes in my school are of 30-37 and students are around ... 14-17 year old students... (some are even 18-19 and 20!!!) They are basically adults. so they ARE not Kids..

(I know in some other countries there are classrooms with even more students) and I believe that having smaller groups is one thing that would help the situation, because we would be able to control the situation in a better way.

I find unfar that the system always makes the teacher become guilty of all this.. when It IS not like this. If students don �t learn, it �s the teacher �s fault, if they missbehave, it �s the teacher �s fault. Lack of authority etc.. That �s what I �ve been told. And I think, how could this be like this when we are human beings and no-one studies at University so many years to become some kind of police in the classroom. I also agree that there are many teachers who have a strong personality and this stands for having loads of authority in front of the group.
At my school the method they have to discipline students from secundary school is to make them sign the �discipline book �... when they reach the 3 signs they are suspended.. But they don �t care.. they even laugh at you in the face when you want to make them sign. It �s really distressing.. .

21 Nov 2009     

JUANBEGI
Spain

As a Spanish teacher for seven years, I can say that it is problem of the educational system where students have got more rights than teachers. I undestand you very well because I have suffered the situations you present very often. I do not use the textbook with them. I give them worksheets about the Simpsons with activities which keep them occupied all the time: copy and complete a table, matching, cryptograms, crosswords, wordsearches and the like. You can get really interesting resources in here. And an advice for you, try to disconnect when you go home after school. Don �t make school be the only issue in your life. Time will give you the patience to deal with these awuful students. Have a nice weekend.

21 Nov 2009     

Mariethe House
France

This is what one member sent for a similar discussion on the forum and I found it very useful! Hope it helps!

THE WAY NOT TO HANDLE DISRUPTIVE STUDENTS

Dr. Marvin Marshall - Discipline without Stress, Punishments or Rewards

Classroom Management

Keep your chin up!! I understand your worries but if we don �t affirm our position, these kids will never be allowed to grow up! They so much need limits and affection which is so demanding on us!

I find that it �s best not to talk to a disruptive kid in front of the group because they are in power. I always put them aside before they go in the classroom and have a quick chat with him /her and say things like : " is it me or are yuo agitated today? Usually they say "no" and I say: " well in that case there is no problem:" so get in and start to work ...." They have to know that you care for them and that they exist in your eyes! You can �t imagine what a 30 seconds individual talk may change in a relatinship! Don �t be afraid of kids! They need us to become adults!! And I am sure you are all very conscientious people , so give it a try!
Something else I have to say: What is frutrating in our job as educators is that the result of our work is only seen in the long run!! We have to be patient!
Good luck my dear friends! Don �t give up! They need you!

21 Nov 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thanks, Therese

Children with "problems" usually HAVE problems. if they are not solved at home, well... they are there for us to solve.

Your words could be mine. Not easy, and I do have some troubles in classroom, but, instead of shouting, if I try to listen to ( though sometimes, I don �t feel like ), let �s say in a few days, few weeks, in the end of the school year... I have them on my side.
Really a very, very hard work.
Therese I feel you like your kids, that �s the best highway to solve all problems.
I think it was Anitarobi  ( EDIT : sorry, not Anit´s post, but yetigumboots, )who posted a long, describing problems text about all sort of problems kids and teens bring along to class.
We can try to help, or not. It �s up to us. If we try, we �ll get some results and we �ll feel incredibly rewarded.
Hugs from Portugal
linda

22 Nov 2009     

Mahalo
United States

I am so happy to teach adults, I found that teaching the students was too "political"- principals always cow-towed to parents, parents always went over the teacher �s head if there was ever a problem, never speaking first with the teacher, and having to put up with both the Superintendent �s "angel", and the principal �s "angel", and being told that they "better get "A" �s" was enough for me and my friends to quit teaching elementary school.

Teachers in America usually last only 5 years as teachers, they go back to school and go other directions.

22 Nov 2009