Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Cloze and Fill in the Gap exercises    

Cloze and Fill in the Gap exercises

libertybelle
United States

Cloze and Fill in the Gap exercises

I �m not often a big fan of Cloze tests or Fill-in the Gap materials.
A good fill-in test will help to see if a student has the basic understanding
of vocabulary and sentence structure or even grammar.
But not all gap exercises are obvious. 

It �s kind of like crossword puzzles in the newspapers. At first you have to de-code  how  the puzzle author thinks. The more you work at it, the easier it gets, until the day you try another puzzle by another author - then it �s like starting all over again.

Therefore, I only use Cloze/gap tests to see if my students have understood the new vocabulary learned in connection with a new topic.

Often what we think is so obvious is quite confusing for others.

Just a thought
L

22 Nov 2009      

PhilipR
Thailand

I have to agree with you. Some of the gap-fill exercises in course books are all but obvious,. I sometimes scratch my head and refer to the teacher �s book. Also, with these kind of exercises there are often way too many gaps to fill. The following lines are taken from a ws posted on this site. Not very straightforward for the average student (or teacher?) if you ask me...

His eldest boy, Tom, ������� (6) is married and lives with his wife and children ������� (7) the road in a decaying pre-war house, is employed ������� (8) the moment, ������� (9) there is no guarantee of how ������� (10) it will last.

22 Nov 2009     

Missfrancisca
Spain

I DON �T LIKE THEM VERY MUCH EITHER, WHEN I USE THEM I USUALLY GIVE THEM THE OPTIONS AND THREE OR FOUR DISTRACTORS SO THAT IT IS EASIER FOR THEM TO PLACE THE WORDS IN THE CORRECT PLACE.IT IS VERY MUCH USED IN CAMBRIDGE EXAMS THOUGH.

22 Nov 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi dear libertybelle! Hi to you all! I am not a fan of cloze exercises either. At my school we only use it to test the vocabulary taught during a particular task or to practise a specific grammar topic, as for example  prepositional verbs. When I was studying at the University, my teachers gave us lots of cloze exercises. Most always I found them difficult to solve. Maybe that �s why I don �t use them much with my students.

Have a nice Sunday.
mena

22 Nov 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Hi everyone! I agree with all of you. I think cloze exercises are only useful in specific testing areas like vocabulary that has been taught or phrasal verb completion. Even in those areas there are much better ways of practising or testing. Like Mena, I was given a lot of cloze exercises at Uni. Furthermore I was taught to administer  these type of exercises when I was doing my graduate work in TEFL.  While we learned a variety of methods like TPR, Asher Method. The Silent Way and many others, it always came back to the classics of cloze, multiple choice, etc. Nowadays, I think TEFL training is more open and geared towards the communicative approach. Unfotunately the Board of examiners at both Cambridge and Oxford disagree with us. Most English language exams include a certain amount of this type of exercise.

22 Nov 2009     

baiba
Latvia

In my part of the world students are required to do gap-fill tasks very often. They are usually included in the state exams and tests. However, they are mostly used with senior students.

Gap-fill exercises check students � understanding of the context, their ability to recognize language patterns, collocations, phrasal verbs.
They are difficult, of course, but if you train students regularly, they can develop this skill. The ability to do gap-fill exercises successfully often indicates that a student feels confident about his English and has reached certain level in mastering the language.

22 Nov 2009     

Deliberately Cunning
Iran

the way you explained about cloze tests make me agree.I don �t use this kind of test anymore since it rises lots of questions during exam and then exam comes to nothing! I mean actually can �t  evalute students readiness . that �s really unfair if students are given such a hard exam. Instead , providing this kind of test with choices , as mentioned above , could be useful . morever , students may do these tasks easier using given CLUES.

22 Nov 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Cloze text and fill-in-the-gap exercises are different and serve different purposes.

A cloze test (also cloze deletion test) is an exercise, test, or assessment consisting of a portion of text with certain words removed (cloze text), where the participant is asked to replace the missing words. Cloze tests require the ability to understand context and vocabulary in order to identify the correct words or type of words that belong in the deleted passages of a text. This exercise is commonly administered for the assessment of native and second language learning and instruction.

The word cloze is derived from closure in Gestalt theory. The exercise was first described by W.L. Taylor in 1953.

So, preparing a cloze test consists of writing a complete text and then delecting words. This should follow a rule: the first and the last words are never deleted and then you have to choose a specific number of words to remain and delete. That is, if you choose number 8, you �ll delete every ninth word after counting eight to remain. So, in a cloze test, any kind of word can be deleted and the main purpose is to check general understanding and overall knowlegde of grammar, vocabulary structure and expressions, all together. You �ll select the text according to the level of your students, that is, elementary, pre intermediate, etc, and the area of ESL, communicative, business English, ESP, ect. It´s very much used in placement texts and in ESl for profficiency level.

Fill-in-the-blank exercises, on the other hand, are designed with a different purpose. You can design them to check vocabulary, for example. So you not only have to remove the items of vocabulary you would like to test from a text, but also to check if the content is clear enough and self explanatory to provide the necessary context for the word to be used.  You can check vocabulary, use of articles, verb tenses, use of "some" and "any" just to mention a few examples.

Cross words, letter soups, etc may have another purpose but not necessarily quite different.

22 Nov 2009