Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > And while we īre on the subject of Cloze Tests!    

And while we īre on the subject of Cloze Tests!

libertybelle
United States

And while we īre on the subject of Cloze Tests!

Bringing it back to the board:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=14202

I īs like to say that I also hate, well...perhaps not hate,
but surely dislike MULTIPLE CHOICE TESTS!!!   (ok - I admit it - I hate them!!)Angry

It īs like saying that people can īt think for themselves - it īs a guessing game.
There must be something better than multiple choice. It īs almost like cheating.
It īs a jogger for the memory. I think we need to train our student īs memories so things don īt go in one ear and out the other!
That īs why I love memory/concentration games and so do my students!  (thank goodness!)Thumbs Up

Just another thought.
Happy Sunday
L

22 Nov 2009      

silvia.patti
Italy

Multiple choice test can be used for weaker students, to help them.

22 Nov 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Here I go again, my dear libertybelle. Multiple choice exercises have a different aim than memory or concentraion games. The former  can be very useful to check grammar rules, for example. In the options you should include the correct form and the one that follow the usual mistakes the pupil make, for example. If you use them in class and not an exam it may be a very useful resourse to consolidate or review some grammar concepts. What i ususally do with this type of exercises is to ask my students why they would choose one option and not the other. QAnd it īs very useful, believe me!!

Dear Libertybelle, I absolutely understand that you prefer one type of exercises rather than others because the choice of each one depends on the aim, level and age of students. That is, if you have a group of very young learners in a certain context a multiple choice exercise may no be suitable. The same may happen with a board game with adults.

The secret of a good class, I think, is to include a great variety of exercises just to appeal to the different learning styles of our students and to avoid monotony.

22 Nov 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I understand Damielle - but I have always thought those kinds of tests were cheating.
A short cut - the easy way out!

Even though someone created them a lifetime ago - doesn īt mean that I don īt think they are redundant and meaningless.

but thanks for your input!!

22 Nov 2009     

baiba
Latvia

As I use gap-fill, open cloze and multiple-choice tasks pretty often, I must not say I don īt love them. I don īt feel anything towards them! I just exploit them because they are the compulsory types of tasks that each student has to be taught (according to the curriculum).

Later, when they take TOEFL or IELTS tests or any other international test, they will be asked to do such tasks - that is why teachers use them, and not only because of this reason...

They are typical tasks for senior students, and very useful at that!

22 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

A good MULTIPLE CHOICE question makes pupils think because often there will be 2 answers that are very close in correctness, 

I actually do a lot of MULTIPLE CHOICE exercises because we are teaching English not testing pupils ability to remember details.  So for example- I do-

Match the beginning of the sentence to its ending. 
Match the word to its meaning (mother tongue) or definition (English).

I have gone back to doing dictations again because I found that it is still the best way to force pupils to learn spelling and of course they write the meaning of the word in their mother tongue.

I really think that it depends on the level you are teaching because my grade 9 A-level pupils are expected to learn 15-20 new vocabulary words for a Cloze on their exam - there is no word bank.  There are no half marks - the word is in the correct space and spelled correctly or the get 0.

22 Nov 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

I see your point libertybelle because you are talking of them as tests and I īm also refering to them as exercises to be done in class.

Baiba, I agree with you that they are part of some international test such as TOEFL and IELTS. That īs way they should be included in our daily practise if that group of students are to sit for that type of exams. No matters what the aim is, Multiple choice exercises need certain training to be solved. that īs why they should be worked in class. If not, they become a guessing game or ta good opportunity to cheat as Libertybelle has already said.

In my experience, multiple choice exercises are included in long tests where some other skills are assessed. For instance, the test can include: reading comprehension, grammar exercises, writing and a multiple choice. The latter īs aim can be to check different grammar structures that are not tested in the former ones.

22 Nov 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Check out the following site for cloze generating.  I have used this many times, and it is great!

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

22 Nov 2009