Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just curious: Do your students interact SPONTANEOUSLY with you?    

Just curious: Do your students interact SPONTANEOUSLY with you?

AHHA
Belarus

The same situation is in our country, at least as far as I �m concerned. My students usually don �t ask me questions in English, but are eager to talk in their mother tongue. If it happens during the lesson, I either ignore the questions or or translate them into English, ask them to repeat the question in English and then answer it. If such a situation as in Frenchfrog �s case occurs, I just point at myself and wait for them to guess what I want. Usually it works well, and they ask me questions as soon as I point at myself. I guess it �s just a mere reflex, but still something is better than nothing at all.Big smile

22 Nov 2009     

_babz
Canada

it �s cause they �re French.....I �ve taught French students (and I �m not talking about French-Canadian, cause I �m now teaching them as well)....from France,

and often it �s cause they really hate their accents in English and they feel discouraged..
what I tell my students is that I never evaluate their accents, and throughout the year, I find interesting topics to have them interact with me, or in teams...

you can even create a point system, which encourages participation.

At the start of each year, I tell my students that when I judge you, I take into consideration whether or not you participate in class - so you might pass all your written and reading exams, but if you never talk, don �t expect to get great marks

hope this helps..goodluck

22 Nov 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Well, like Barbara,  I �m in the wrong country. My students will ask me anything that comes to mind and in English. If they don �t like the work we �re doing at the moment they may ask off  the topic questions about the weather, about my cat or my dog - anything. They �re willing to speak in English as long as they can talk. Sometimes this is a good thing but not always. Most Greek children are very outgoing so they just naturally speak.  Also they know that the more they speak English in class the higher their grade will be.

22 Nov 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Like ENG789, I am in Israel.  My students ask me all kinds of questions.  I am religious, so I get asked questions like,  "Is is hot for you with your wig?" I disagree with ENG, because I love the children �s freedom to ask questions.  Most of my students call me by my first name, except for the ones that go to religious schools, and they call me "teacher". 
As long as they ask me questions in English, they can ask me anything they want.

Hugfrom Israel.

Judy

22 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2