Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > ideas for teaching days of the week / months needed    

ideas for teaching days of the week / months needed

silvanija
Lithuania

ideas for teaching days of the week / months needed

Dear colleagues,
Maybe you know some fun activities / games for teaching days of the week or months?

Thanks in advance

28 Nov 2009      

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

A fun activity to ensure the students know the order is to give each person a card with a day of the week/month of the year.  They then have to get up, move around the class and form a line to get themselves in the correct order - from January-Decemer or Monday-Sunday.  They have to read their word out repeatedly to ensure they are in the right place.  This gets the students moving around and they are reading the words and putting them in order at the same time.  Seems to work!

28 Nov 2009     

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

you can read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle. then, ask the students to rewrite it using a different character or maybe they can make a flip mini book about the days of the week.

also i found this song on youtube my students love it it teaches months of the year and days of the week.

28 Nov 2009     

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

I have uploaded a worksheet on days of the week. IT includes a very easy activity at the beginning and lyrics of a funny song, you can download it and ask for the song if you �re interested. here is my email [email protected] you´ll find in my ws something about months of the year too with a song http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=316125#thetop

28 Nov 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I remember a colleague once sharing a very simple activity with me - I �ve used it many times with my elementary kids and it �s amazing how effective and fun they find it. You write the names of week days on the board, and read it aloud with them, then they close their eyes, you erase Monday, and when they open their eyes, they have to read all 7 days aloud again, as if Monday were still there. Then they close their eyes, you erase Tuesday, and repeat the reading part. When it �s over you have them reading from a completely erased board, but they  feel like they �re reading. It seems silly, but they love it and it �s really effective. Afterwards, we do all sorts of word games with it, wss and play with words cards, and they also love songs. They also love talking about their schedule or the TV guide, and love making posters with it - their ideal school schedule or ideal TV guide with pics and colourful markers.
Anita
PS: As for months, there are lovely poems about the months of the year for kids (check the 2nd one here http://www.zozanga.com/unit/lesson21.htm - I�ve turned it into a picture poster for them - pics for key words and word cards for months, and they place it in the correct position while they hear me read it)...

28 Nov 2009     

mr.sneeze
Bermuda

The Macarena Months song can really be a blast !!!!

28 Nov 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

@Mr Sneeze,
Do you have an audio file for the the Macarena Months  song, I �d be glad to have it, sounds great!!! Wink
Cyn

28 Nov 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

Thank you for your great ideas HugHugHug
I was surfing the Internet today and found "Days of the week" to the tune of "Adams family".

Cyn, there are many Macarena months on Youtube, but I couldn �t find just music without any performances.

28 Nov 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Silvanija, great link!

28 Nov 2009