Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ...all but...    

...all but...

baiba
Latvia

...all but...

I �d like to ask you how you interpret this sentence from the book which I am reading now. I sort of understand it but I am not sure.

"Despite the fact that a prominent family was involved, thirty-six years later the case of H. was all but forgotten."

Does it mean it was forgotten or it was not forgotten?

1 Dec 2009      

zoemorosini
United States

all but = almost completely

1 Dec 2009     

donapeter
Romania

all but = very nearly

1 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

It means that it was forgotten, few people remembered it... or that even though the case was famous, not a lot of people had heard or remembered anything about it...

PS: Is this a quote from Steig Larsson �s book "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"?

1 Dec 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Thanks, ladies!
Zora, how did you know??? Are you reading the same book? Awesome intuition!

1 Dec 2009     

Zora
Canada

Baiba!

I read the book about three months ago or so... but for some reason that particular passage rung a bell when I read it! Smile Great book by the way... you´ll love it!

1 Dec 2009     

cagreis
Portugal

"But" here means "except" so it wasn �t forgotten.

1 Dec 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Hmmmm, now I am confused...

BTW, I also know that but sometimes means except, that �s why I asked this question!

e.g. They had come all but one.

1 Dec 2009     

teresapr
Portugal

I agree with cagreis. I think it means, as you also know, except. So, the case was not forgotten!

1 Dec 2009     

^lem^
Spain

My humble opinion is "not forgotten at all".

1 Dec 2009     

^lem^
Spain

Ummmm, after a quick google search I changed my mind. Now I stick to zoemorosini and Zora. Thanks baiba,your questioning solved I doubt I didn �t know I had.

1 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >