Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Sorry ...     

Sorry ...

zeline
France

Sorry ...

Hello everyone!

My worksheet �Buy Nothing Day � has been removed because the text was taken from the site �buy nothing day �. Well I just wanted to save teachers � time by providing them with a compilation about what their action is about. 

I was quite surprised to get a message today.I didn �t mean to �steal � anything. Sorry if it looks I have.  

Have a nice day

Zeline

5 Dec 2009      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I did not see your worksheet, but in general I am so confused by this rule. 
If you take text from a website and turn it into an ESL activity, providing a link to that website.. I don �t see how it could be wrong.. 
This is how people create ESL activities! I don �t know any good textbook that doesn �t take text from newspaper and magazines. Stories that the author makes up him/herself are inevitably boring, we �re teachers and grammarians, not writers! 

5 Dec 2009     

zeline
France

I didn �t attached the questions I do with my students to the document so I guess it was just a text....

thanks RabbitWho :)

5 Dec 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Many people here use information from websites, but they edit and re-write them and then add their own activities. They also write the source at the bottom of the page too.  Copying directly, word for word (copy and past)  from a website is not accepted.

When I buy books for my class, they are usually edited with a vocabulary that fits the level they are at.  I never give my classes a text directly from an original book. There are just too many words they don �t know.
Penguin, Longmann and Oxford books are all edited in this way.

So if you want to share a good worksheet with information, re-write it in your own words and add some activities.  That would be great.
L

5 Dec 2009     

Mariethe House
France

There it goes again!! I am fed up with these rules that change all the time!

I am lucky : I do write my own texts and this is probably the reason why they don �t get downloaded much!!LOL

If we could get a straight answer , that would be nice!!

That �s something I really find difficult to understand: Everyone, as you say Rabbitwho, takes
texts from one source or the other ( web or books)and adapts it , finds activities to go with it , gives the reference and  One day it is accepted and the next you are called a thief or a plagiarist ! Stern Smile

5 Dec 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Ok Zeline... so the mystery has been solved.... When you upload a text it must have an activity to go with it otherwise it is indeed copied straight from the source.
At least you know now what you need to do so you can reupload it.
It would have fallen into one of two categories : copied from.... or not an esl activity (in that there was no activity with your text it was just reading)

This issue has been brought up many a time and YES we are allowed to used texts from elsewhere BUT we must add our own activities (NOT activities already given online or in a book) and not just upload a reading text that has been copied from somewhere. Your printable would NOT have been deleted IF it had had the questions etc attached.
Welcome to the site and good luck with your future printables!!!

5 Dec 2009     

baiba
Latvia

The difference between allowed and not allowed is easy to see - in one case you take the text from the net or a book (or write it yourself if you can), adapt it, add tasks or activities so that it is turned into a completely new resource; in the other case you just copy the text and send it in, in many cases not even giving hints how this text can be used as an ESL resource.

5 Dec 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Dear Mariethe. It �s logical that we don �t cut and paste but re-write. (or adapt)
We all have to get our information from somewhere!!!
We just don �t have to take a text verbatim from the internet.

5 Dec 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I always thought it was acceptable to use a written source, to cite/credit it & then provide our own exercises?  The key is to add your own work to the articles by creating exercises. I�ve never heard otherwise... plagiarism is not giving credit where credit is due.

Regards,
AB

5 Dec 2009