Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > boxing day    

boxing day

WestHampstead
Spain

boxing day

Hello! could you explain me: what do people do on Boxing day? how do they celebrate it? why this name?...
THANKS

13 Dec 2009      

serene
Greece

You can find some useful information here:

13 Dec 2009     

lemarja3
Slovenia

As far as I know people give presents to each other on this day. I think that the name "Boxing" is somehow connected with the presents which are often packed in boxes.

13 Dec 2009     

WestHampstead
Spain

THANKS!!

13 Dec 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This might also be interesting.

13 Dec 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Once Boxing Day was known as a day the higher classes gave gifts to the lower classes. Before or on December 25th people of similar class would exchange gifts to celebrate the Christmas season. Gifts were not exchanged with the lower class until the next day called Boxing Day.
If you ask any Canadian what Boxing Day now represents, they would say that it is the day of the greatest sales of the year.  Stores in our country prepare for the great sale.  The stores open at noon and people go by the masses to buy merchadise which is reduced from 50 to 75 per cent off.  Merchants make a large part of their yearly sales on this day and a lot of money is spend on advertisements.

13 Dec 2009