Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary for elemantary    

vocabulary for elemantary

mr.dgdln
Turkey

vocabulary for elemantary

Hi dear colleagues,
I have some requests.

first I �d like to ask how many words is a student supposed to know when they finish elementary level?

and  do you have a document which includes all vocabulary a student of elementary is supposed to know? and of course, ,if you have are you willing to share with me?

( I�ve downloaded some pdfs and word documents from the net which is first 1000 words in English but I didn�t like them because they have some shortcoming. for example, there is the verb �lend� but its opposite of �borrow� isn�t included)

Thanks in advance.

14 Dec 2009      

julianbr
Italy

how will you count all the words they know? ..  might be better to give them a level test from the end of a course book maybe?.. 

14 Dec 2009     

maker1
Turkey

He is asking how many words they are supposed to know at  ElementaryLevel. �mer, I suggest contacting British Council. They used to have Cambridge Young Learners English Tests Handbook in which there are the thematic vocabulary lists for � �Starters - Movers - Flyers � � I have counted the Starter �s vocabulary list which comes to around 500 words. So should you get the handbook from the British Council, you can count the rest and let me know.

14 Dec 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

You can downlaod the teacher �s handbook from the cambridge site where you have the appendix marker is talking about...

14 Dec 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This might be worth looking at.

14 Dec 2009     

Mariethe House
France

wow, Aftab, so useful!! Is it easy to get the readers? Where can I order them from?
edit: silly me!! just had a closer look and saw they have an online order service!!

14 Dec 2009     

Aurore
France

To count is to limit. Let those young birds fly free and they �ll know more than you can imgine.

14 Dec 2009     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

How many words do you guys know? I myself have never counted! Therefore, couldn �t ask my students to do so.

Wacko

I always found funny whenever I see courses advertising "learn 1000 words in level 1, 2000 in level 2, etc." How can anyone be so sure?! Just because a coursebook has the vocabulary doesn �t mean that the student will or even should learn them all.
I �ve used books with words I know my students won �t learn because there �s a big chance they �ll never use them again in a colloquial way.

14 Dec 2009