Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Christmas speaking activities.     

Christmas speaking activities.

mjpa
Spain

Christmas speaking activities.

I would like to "use" Christmas holidays to introduce in my lessons different things. I mean, all those type of things we cannot do in normal lesson due to lack of time or because students have to follow the curriculum and so on. So, now they are on holidays, I would like to do something different. Not the habitual writing lessons based on grammar and so on.
I would like them to speak much more so I was thinking about playing different games and more "light" activities but, even though I�ve been taking a look at the different activities having to do with Christmas here in the site, I�ve not found anything it could be of use to me.
Could you propose something or even better, tell me what do you usually do in your lessons?
I have both young children, teenagers and adult students.
Thanks in advance.

16 Dec 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

My sts had a great speaking activity when we did the following things (you �ll know the level and age with which to use it):
1. interview Grinch/ Santa Claus - one of them or you can be Grinch or Santa and they interview you
2. Christmas shopping situations (you can use cards with various situations - st 1 is the customer - an old granny who needs a toy nobody has any more so she starts crying and pleading, and st 2 is a shop assistant who finally calls another store and gets it for her; st1 who is a shop assistant who is new at his/her job and the other colleagues send him the most demanding businessman ever who wants the perfect gift for his wife, etc. - you can even have sts invent situations)
3. role play - Santa �s workshop, the elves and Mrs Claus - the fuss right before delivering presents
4. have word cards of famous Christmas persons (Santa, Grinch, elf, Mrs Claus, Scrooge, Snow Queen...) and pull out pairs of cards and then have them sit down, pretend they �re having a cup of cocoa and chatting over the difficulties of their jobs (imagine Snow Queen and Grinch at the same table)
5. Santa �s having a bad day - first part - go thorugh Santa �s normal Christmas delivery day and make notes on board - when he gets up, what he eats, what he wears...; then tell them to pretend everything went badly one day - have them create funny situations (the alarm clock didn �t go off, his trousers ripped, the reindeer went on strike...) - my kids loved this, and later on I paired them up and had them write it down - I got role plays, poems, stories...
Sorry, have to go now! Trust me, I did some of these with kids from 8-15 and we had a fantastic time!( we even chose the best ones in the last activity and I got them those chocolate Santas as Oscars - they were surprised, laughed, acted out and read aloud their stuff.... great lessons)
Anita

16 Dec 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Anita, this is fantabulous!! Thank you!

16 Dec 2009