Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Near TO???    

Near TO???

angela#anaconda
France

Near TO???

Hello, Hello!!!!

I �ve recently come across the expression "near to" and I wonder if this is correct. I thought you could say "next to" but certainly not "near to"/ The thing is I read "near to" in a uk government site...
Can someone help me here?

20 Dec 2009      

aquarius_gr
Greece

It is possible, British grammar allows it (hence the UK site). Most common use is without the preposition though, some books even forbid the prep. 

20 Dec 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I �ve seen �near to � too...sounds weird to me but this is British English, so it �s possible to use. 

20 Dec 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I recall hearing it when I lived in England.  "I am near to being/almost finished."  This is perfectly acceptable.

20 Dec 2009     

redcamarocruiser
United States

"Near to" is also used in American English. It means "close to" which is a little more general in measurement than "next to,"  which means �by � or "beside" or "alongside."

EXAMPLES
If you place a magnetic object too near to your computer, it can wipe the hard drive.
Don �t let that toddler walk too near to the edge of the hang gliding platform. She could fall off.

http://esl.about.com/od/thebasics/a/this_that_these_those_determiners.htm uses "near to" to explain grammar.

Use "these" for more than one object (plural) which are here (near to us).
Use "there" for one object (singular) which exists - or "is" (near to us).

http://esl.about.com/od/grammarintermediate/p/tip221.htm also gives examples.

20 Dec 2009     

angela#anaconda
France

THANK YOU guys! You are always here for me!Wink

20 Dec 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

According to Michael Swan (Practical English Usage)

the adjecive near can be used like a preposition with or without to. To is not normally used when we are talking about physical closeness.
We live near the station.

When we are not talking about physical closeness, near to is often preferred.
I came very near to hitting him.

Nerarer and nearest are generally used with to, though to can be dropped in an informal style.
Come and sit near (to) me.
Who is sitting nearest (to) the door.

Hope it helps you.

20 Dec 2009