Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Content X Layout    

Content X Layout

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

zailda, first let me clear that i pointed about the author �s name just in case you would think that i have something against you as i �ve seen many "fights" concerning revenge or competition among some members (which is not my case) secondly this is not about what i think is an esl resource, " if it fits my pattern" or the time i spent checking the ws, for me is about the rules of the site because for me and i repeat for me, a flashcard with just a big clipart in one page is that, just a clipart ,but the rules here allows them if they are a set of four but if i someone puts 4 small cliparts in one page they are not allowed and i have seen them removed. as i said when i saw your ws i send it to be checked, i disagree with you in that i see what is the big deal since if someone reports a ws for no reason or the wrong reason the moderators are there to vote. not so long ago one of my ws was reported because it was correpted which it wasn �t, i didnt even bother because the moderators voted to stay and i knew they would see it was a mistake, and even if one of my ws is reported for not being an esl resourse i wont make a deal about it because i can fix it and upload it again. im sorry again if this caused you trouble but i rather prefer to report a ws that im not sure about it and let the other moderators to check it also than leave it here for no reason. i trust the moderator �s judgement and fairness when it comes to voting against or in favor.

21 Dec 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Zailda,
You did well to open the thread. To err is human - I proved today with the scandalous �Santa � Ws. I believe that many of us are on a continuous rush - and tend to overlook things. Yes, you �re right - before downloading / reporting a Ws we should always take a careful look at it. It can be time consuming but at least we avoid making some terrible mistakes. I know most of the members here are good-hearted and kind and they want the best for this site.
I suggest we draw the conclusions, learn our lessons and go on with the great job we are doing.
Hugs,
gabitza

21 Dec 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I agree with you Zailda! ...very much (and you know that).
I always ask myslef...What english do students learn with this?..What �s the purpose of the activity?.. If I can answer these questions after seeing the worksheet.. Then I know it �s useful even thou, I may not use it. ..
I often felt dissapointed when I spent a long time typing a text, finding the right way to arrange the boxes in the worksheet and so on.. and then see that �pictionaries � - posters---and else.. get huge amount of points.. and are never reported �unless � they are copies. I don �t see the purpose of them.. I would never print such things.. .. I have those pictionaries from books and real posters! SO .... I guess those people just upload loads of pictures together to get more points and feed their �points ego �.. :)
As I said before,
I believe we really live in an upside down world --- There are many many worksheets which really ARE useless and not ESL resources... As you said...we are not to judge quality of other people �s works.. but I find unfair that some members (and I could list some names)... upload always the same kind of worksheets.. cards.. full of cliparts..which are suppose to be used for conversations.. but you have to prepare the questions... they just upload cliparts with boarders and get points.. and the next day upload another same worksheet with different cliparts.. then some more cliparts as pitcionary and so on!..
And as they aren �t copies.. but just really lazy works to get some points... they can stay and can �t be reported.....Not fair..

21 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@lizsantiago, I continue believing in responsible reporting because of some abuses ocurred recently.

Sometimes it takes a long time for someone to prepare a ws that is useful and fits the site rules and it �s unfair when someone sends it to the reporting page just because he thinks it �s not OK for an unclear reason.

You are lizsantiago, I �m Zailda - so we are different. You wouldn �t even bother if a person reports or removes a ws of yours. I surely do.

First - I know the rules and wouldn �t upload somethng I know it �s against them because I do respect the members here and their work.

Second - I spend some hours each day preparing material to use in class and set aside some I think will help other teachers, and upload them here later.

Third - I respect other members and their efforts as well and would like to have the same respect and consideration for me and my work.

Fourth - I always give support to other members whose work is unfairly reported, no matter who reported it, or if I �ll gain another "enemy" who �ll show me up for every little mistake.

Fifth - I �m here to help, if I can �t help I won �t mess things up.

Sixth - If we start reporting any "suspicious" ws or any ws we are not sure about, the reporting page will become a mess and we won �t have time to check wss properly before voting - so the number of mistakes will increase - more people complaining, more unfair removal done.

Seventh - There are thousands of members here and they �ll also see the ws, so if it �s really against the rules someone will report it for clear reasons.

Eighth - You don �t have the obligation to report every ws against the rules in this site, you do a great job, but you don �t have to do it by yourself. So, don �t overdo it.

@Gabitiza, it �s not a big fault to download the wrong ws, if we realize we made a mistake, we have the option to delete from our computer. Thousands of teachers also commented the ws and judging from what they said, it should be a fantastic one.

So if you download a wrong ws it �s not a big deal, if you report a ws by mistake, it is.

21 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Samantha, I won �t ask you to give the list with the members � names who always upload the same ws with different clipart mainly because I know that if I did, you would... And it �s not my intention to start the Third World War or something... LOL

You see? I �m sure that each member has his own beliefs on what belongs or not here, but when voting or reporting we don �t follow our beliefs, we follow the rules.

I �m only asking the members to read the ws first and follow the rules to report consciously.

21 Dec 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Dear Zailda,

I applaud you! You are always so well-spoken, and I totally agree with you. If the ws asks students to respond to thoughtful questions, then it is not a template at all. Essay tests are what my department requires because "yes and no" questions and multiple-choice questions do no really show us what our students know!

As one of my students told me last week, "I got your back!" (LOL)

Have a good night.

Carla

21 Dec 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Clap I totally agree with everything you said Zailda Clap

Lately I have noticed an eagerness for reporting worksheets
which leads to these kinds of confusing situations...

I keep insisting with this question of reporting responsibly,
as well as with providing evidence when accusing a WS as stolen, etc.

What I think summarizes this whole issue is what Zailda says
"when voting or reporting we don �t follow our beliefs, we follow the rules."

So please, stop feeling the responsibility to report every single worksheet you come across... and stick to the rules and to the evidence you have!

Let �s continue enjoying this great site!

Regards,
Cyn

21 Dec 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

You are right Zailda... I don �t either want to start  "the Third World War or something......." LOL
I feel angry when I see such worksheets and �members � who take hard work from others in exchange of worksheets cluttered with cliparts!
That �s why, now, I only upload simple worksheets, the ones with huge work on I only use it in my classes. I don �t want people taking my hard work for nothing.
Good night!

21 Dec 2009     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Thanks Zailda  for your wise words. I complitely agree with you  and I do hope  they �ll be useful to this great site and its members.

Regards

Sabrina

21 Dec 2009     

< Previous   1    2