Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Skills or tests?    

Skills or tests?

dwaikat
Palestine

Skills or tests?

Dear All,

I hope this finds you all fine!

I have a question in mind recently which has a simple answer but a difficult choice in reality.

When we teach English, do we look for teaching it as a skill or to be tested? i.e: For secondary phases or university students, since I do teach university students, teachers usually focus on tests and what should students know to pass a course for instance. What about the skill? Teaching a language to gain its skills

appropriately. To what extent do we teachers emphasis on each (tests or skills)?

However, we have to bear in mind that students should pass tests to move to the next phase or course! So, is it a means or an end? Does the end justify the means in this case or should we consult The Prince by Machiavelli?LOL

What do you think?

Looking forward to reading your replies.

From the Holy Land!

21 Dec 2009      

Sara5
Kuwait

Dear Sir,

The same thing here. Our pupils are learning the language from watching movies,chatting.....etc.

21 Dec 2009     

Hanan Hanan
Palestine

Hello,

I believe most of our English teachers and students give more priority to tests more than aquiring language skills. But some times we are as teachers of a foregin language we should pay more attention to teach the second language �s skills in some poitns.

Personally, I think it all depends on the Ss themselves whether they want only to pass the tests or to have the excellency of the language skills . and I �d prefer the second!

Regards,
Hanan

21 Dec 2009     

stella_bc5
Spain

Most of the students here are not really interested in learning English. They only want to pass their tests. As a teacher I become desperate when I see this because it �s more pleasant and fulfilling when you really teach language �s skills. What I try to do is to inset activities that help them to pass their exams and to acquire language �s skills. It seems difficult but not impossible. Confused

22 Dec 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Dear Dwaikat,

I guess I �m an optimist. I want to teach it both ways with a heavy slant on standardized English because that is what the business world expects. You would be shocked at how many American children don �t know their own language well enough to pass college entrance essays.

Carla

22 Dec 2009