Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > OPEN LETTER FROM AFS YAYINCILIK    

OPEN LETTER FROM AFS YAYINCILIK

AFS YAYINCILIK
Turkey

OPEN LETTER FROM AFS YAYINCILIK

To all ESL Members;

We are truly sorry about how the events developed. We do agree with your comments that it was not ethical to not to ask for permission from the owners of the worksheets which only comprise a fraction of our newest �Learn English� books. However due to the facts that;

1. ESL website is an open ground for exchanging worksheets and that we also submitted several sheets (there was a false accusation about the authenticity of our submitted sheets, they were removed even though they were unique designs),
  2. the sheets that we have downloaded are largely consisting of well known clipart images, all of which were already purchased by us and already used in our various publications,
  3. we witnessed in many schools in Turkey that numerous worksheets from your website were reproduced in huge quantities and distributed to students as it is designed and uploaded by the original designer,
  4. on the contrary of the situation today, there were no warnings of copyright infringement and ownership issues on the worksheets,

a few of the downloaded worksheets were proposed by one of our board members to be used in our newest �Learn English� books. These were the facts that misled us to the improper way of using the downloaded sheets and we take full responsibility of this error. Misusage of a property against the will of its rightful owner is strictly against our beliefs.

We also design and publish many patented products and we encounter infringement problems quite frequently. However, our correspondents in the other parties have always acted to solve the issue just after receiving our notification about the problem.

However, we wish wholeheartedly that someone could notify us or ask for an explanation before or at the same time of declaring this infringement problem on the website. We do not find it ethical to be assaulted by many harsh accusations and disgraceful insults while being denied the opportunity to further investigate the matter and act on a corrective plan. If we could be got in touch the first day, you would instantly see the positive reaction that we maintain today even when confronted by the boycott campaign and various attempts for hacking our website.

For years, and as of today, we worked with a considerable number of teachers and education professionals who are all satisfied by the level of our business ethics. The downloaded worksheets are not related to the main subjects of the books and comprise only a small fraction of the published book. Revising these problematic books will be completed in a few days and will be sent anyone upon request. To further reinforce our point, we invite our Turkish colleagues who are avid supporters of the campaign to our offices and help them see the revising process as well as our whole product portfolio.

Speaking of our portfolio, these newest �Learn English� books are just one of our hundreds of products. Today we exceeded all our competitors in terms of innovations and number of patents we obtained. It�s a point that should be emphasized that benefiting from our mistake, there are particular employees from our competitors who want to escalate this campaign perhaps to a level equivalent of nuclear bombing!

In what scale this unjust public-execution may proceed, we will remain here to inform you about the process and will not divert from the path of common sense. We hope to come back with more news during next week.

Until then we wish all members and colleagues a happy and problem-free new year. And we especially wish to send our best regards to our Turkish colleagues who were all too eager to support the campaign against us while they could have picked up the phone and ask for explanations.

AFS YAYINCILIK

28 Dec 2009      

donapeter
Romania

Oh, my God!

28 Dec 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

mine too donapeter, i cant beleive this guy, how come victor hasn �t closed that account?  and kept him from coming here.

28 Dec 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

These are proofs Liz... I do not think they should be removed or the account cancelled.

Well, well... this is as simple as you published worksheets done by others, so... you can talk, talk, talk and say whatever you want, you are thieves and that �s it, no matter what you say.

28 Dec 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

This is yet ANOTHER story... MrDgdln rang them and they told him that a native English speaker teaching in turkey gave them to them to publish.. More lies again and again different stories.You will see in Victors thread above the post by Mr Dgdln where he tells how he rang them and what they said.
My answers to your 4 points you have made:

Point 1
: They had worksheets deleted because they were double accounts and the accounts had the SAME worksheets copied from each other. I know that this is one reason definitely because I remember seeing the worksheets and voting. Having double accounts is not allowed. Submitting work that has not been created by you the author is not allowed, copying and uploading someone else �s work is not allowed. So.....
Point 2:So are they saying now they own licences for all the clip art including any CD �s that various members have used? More like bought licences AFTER the fact. So why has your books got a credit for an illustrator but no credits for the websites that provided the clip art? Dodgy.
Point 3: DUH, that is what the purpose of this website is for, using worksheets in class with our students, we dont make any profit off them.
Point 4: Victor has already shown us cached pages of the website from years back where it clearly states that you can use them for personal use only. The link is in another thread somewhere. So again baseless inaccurate information.

28 Dec 2009     

lomasbello
Venezuela

Actions speak louder than words!!

28 Dec 2009     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

YET AGAIN....

One thing you as a publishing house should know for sure is that �s an old myth that if it doesn �t have a copyright notice, it �s free for use. The real fact it �s that EVERYTHING is copyrighted unless EXPRESSED OTHERWISE. This is the international term, not the opposite.

If you are a serious company, like you have said, you HAVE TO KNOW about this, since the company would also not want to see its work somewhere else, and in fact, it �s only reasonable that before you published anything you would have searched for information about copyrights and would know that already.

As a serious publishing company, 25 years in the market, you would know that it �s YOUR JOB to give credits to ANY WORK that doesn �t belong to the company, you should know that it �s not PROPER to use work without EXPRESSED PERMISSION (personal and/or commercial permission) by the author. It doesn �t matter if the statement was or wasn �t in this website.

Certainly the authors � lawyers, and yours for that matter, will warn the parts (you and the eslprintables.com members who have been injured) that what HAD TO BE EXPLICIT was a notice for free use (both personal and commercial) for you to be able to use all and any work from the website in your books. Which is not the case.

There hasn �t been any confusion or baseless accusations, and AFS YAYINCILIK will certainly have to prove the law courts not only that it didn �t have bad faith, which alone will be hard, but also that didn �t know the international copyrights laws, which being a 25 year-old company, will be almost impossible.

All this community is united and will support all the injured members.
With all due respect, don �t expect any kind of sympathy.
May justice be done.

28 Dec 2009     

Katiana
Spain

How many more lies are you going to tell us?

I do not believe a word you are saying. The only truth is that you took our work without our permission. The rules have always been clear, you can�t use the material in our page for commercial purposes, you can�t publish it as you have done. These rules have been in the site since the beginning. Only the copyright labels were added after we found out about your illegal publication. They were added to make things clearer.

You claim you uploaded worksheets which were unique designs and that they were unfairly removed. Who do you want to kid? You have two fake accounts, I have proof of this, as you wrote me two pms using one of them. With these fake accounts, you stole materials from other members like Vanda and uploaded them as yours, these are the only worksheets you had fairly removed.

You told me in those pms that you had started to withdraw the books from the sale points, another huge lie, as several members found them in different places and were even able to buy them. I�m about to receive the books. Some of them also phoned you to ask for an explanation or went to your office and your explanations were only more lies.

I�m sure you thought we would never find out about your fake publications but we have. You can�t stop this spreading all over the world.

I�m proud of being part of this big family. I�m glad that our work is being used in thousands of schools, that thousands of photocopies are being distributed to students, that is the purpose of the site. Your purpose was just taking advantage of our work to make money. You deserve every harsh accusation you get. What do you think the Turkish Prime Minister of Education will think of your company when he finds out about this? Have you thought about it?

28 Dec 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

As a company, I am sure that you and your lawyers are well aware of copyright laws, and as you are not  a non-profit organization, your company is here solely for the purpose of making a profit. This is what you have been trying to do, to make a profit from the hard working teachers on this site. 

The teachers on this site, as you are fully aware of, are here to share, and yes, to distrubute freely to schools and students.  They are not here to publish work that does not belong to them, nor to get money in return.  

I can not believe that in this day and age a company such as yours would take us for fools.  We are not fools, nor do we believe what you have been trying to pass off on us.

28 Dec 2009     

Gia Mel
Chile

To AFS YAYINCILIK:

I think the problem here is that you have used somebody else �s  creations for your personal profit... Many of us have used the WS from this website, but never to SALE or to GAIN something more than learning. As I don �t  think your books are for free, you made a huge mistake trying to cheat these people instead of asking for their permission... 

You claim that you have uploaded some WS here... Why on Earth would you do that? You own a book publishing company, unless you were trying to get something in return for your WS???

To VICTOR and other members of our community:

I support you and any actions you take... I �ve posted the mesage on my Facebook, And sent it to as many teachers as I could...

I �d like that all injustice could be fought as in this case...

Gia Mel.

29 Dec 2009     

_babz
Canada

I JUST SENT YOU A PM...CAUSE THERE ARE WORDS I SIMPLE CANNOT SAY PUBLICLY...

FOR STARTERS...YOUR POST HAPPENS TO BE THE BIGGEST BULLS*** I �VE HARD...AT LEAST UNTIL KNOW....

YOUR COMPANY IS PATHETIC AND SO ARE YOU....AND IT WOULD SEEM THAT YOU ARE JUST GOING TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT....SO WHY ARE YOU EXPLAINING YOURSELF?

I DON �T KNOW MUCH ABOUT TURKEY AND IT S LAWS...BUT IT �S A GOOD THING YOUR COMPANY IS NOT BASED IN CANADA...

LASTLY, IF YOU �RE SO CONCERNED ABOUT WHAT HAS HAPPENED....WHY AREN´T YOU RECALLING YOUR BOOKS????? LIKE I SAID...BIGGEST BULL...

Here �s another clipart you can use...you have my permission:

29 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >