Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Modals Can and Cant    

Modals Can and Cant

cesar1283
Peru

Modals Can and Cant

Hello every body... I would like to know how can I introduce the modals can or cant into a very basic students.... do know know any video at youtube or something like that? in oder to show up to my students?? or another tip about modals.... hope you can help me, thanks!!!!

3 Jan 2010      

monchis
Mexico

Something that has worked for me is to use animals photos and action verbs, then, on one side of the blackboard I draw a tick, and a cross on the other side. First I model using one animal e.g. The dog can run Thumbs Up, but the dog can�t fly Thumbs Down . You can also use a drawing of somebody with a leg injured or talk about yourself

Since they are basic students you need to act out a lot for they to understand
There are also many activities here that you can use. Just search "can-cant" ws.
Hope this helps.
M�nica

4 Jan 2010     

cesar1283
Peru

THANK YOU GUYS... YOU �VE BEEN SO AMAZING TONIGHT!!! THANKS

4 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I agree - I also use animals often - it �s fun and logical for kids. Flashcards help, but also mime. They also love drawing their own robots and then writing a description next to it of 3-5 things it can do and 3-5 things it can �t - my sts made great posters of it and were very creative. We had robots who could speak French, but couldn �t drink water, etc.

4 Jan 2010     

cesar1283
Peru

thank you so much!

5 Jan 2010