Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > PARTS OF SPEECH - Can someone clear my doubt?    

PARTS OF SPEECH - Can someone clear my doubt?

HOLYMARY_852
India

PARTS OF SPEECH - Can someone clear my doubt?

There are some words like �reception � which cause a confusion as to the part of speech in which they are used, e.g. �I attended my friend �s wedding reception �. Obviously �reception � is a noun. In the sentence �He organised a reception party to celebrate his son �s birthday �. In this sentence, the word �reception � is an adjective. But sometimes we use this word without being followed by a noun, e.g. �We met them at the reception �. The doubt arises whether the word �reception � in this sentence is a �noun � or an �adjective �. 

14 Jan 2010      

PhilipR
Thailand

Reception is a noun. The words wedding reception and reception party are compound nouns (like for instance football match or basketball player). I �ve noticed that some even use the word wedding reception party!

14 Jan 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Thanks Philip, I agree with you.

I just have one point to add. That is, I dont believe "reception party" is correct use of the word �reception �. I �ve never heard of it and it does not make sense to me since �reception � is a manner of recieving (a formal manner).

14 Jan 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I can only agree with you Darryl as I �ve never heard of a reception party myself, especially not for birthdays - I should �ve looked more closely at the original post :-$. When people celebrate a birthday they organise a birthday party or a birthday bash (yet another compound noun).

14 Jan 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

in that sentence reception is part of a prepositional phrase at the reception so is a noun.

14 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there, I must say that I agree with the boys Wink . AND I just had a little thought here to add to this: Perhaps the "party" that Holymary is referring to, as this could have been a misunderstood concept and used one way when the word referred to another, refers to the group of people... example:

"The wedding party met us at the restaurant." or "The reception party (the group from the reception) was seen throwing confetti at passer-byers."

Tis possible that this might have been the case since neither one of us would really say "I was at a reception party  last weekend" BUT we would say "I was part of the reception party that sang karaoke after the party was over!"

14 Jan 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I often hear � �I will meet you at the wedding reception, � � as a location.  Also brides often want wedding reception ideas and they would also like to have pictures of their wedding reception.  I have often heard someone saying � �I would like the perfect wedding reception � �.

A wedding reception is a party held after the completion of a marriage ceremony. It is held as hospitality for those who have attended the wedding, hence the name reception:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_reception

14 Jan 2010     

Tere-arg
Argentina

As I can see it:

As regards reception and party:
Reception is a formal , more important party.

As for the position of words:  we can use a noun to identify other noun, so  it takes the position an adjective usually has.
In that way you may say: the kitchen door/ the car key, etc.

14 Jan 2010