Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

D@N! P
Brazil

help

Here I am again, peps.
How can I explain my students what is a road, a drive, a highway and a Boulevard. To be honest, I don�t know clearly the difference.
Help me.
Thanks in advance

19 Jan 2010      

priorita
Ukraine

first, take a look at this: http://askville.amazon.com/difference-Blvd-Street-Road-Avenue/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7279294

This is from Wikipedia but as for me it �s not only in north american usage: "In North American usage, highway normally designates a main road for travel between important destinations, such as cities, large towns, and states. Highway designs vary widely and can range from a two-lane road without margins to a multi-lane, grade-separated expressway, freeway, or motorway. However, in practical and useful meaning, a "highway" is a major and significant, well-constucted road that is capable of carrying reasonably-heavy to extremely-heavy traffic."

a drive is "a road leading up to a private house" or "a road for vehicles, esp. a scenic one, as in or along a park, or a short one, as an approach to a house".

19 Jan 2010