Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Noun or adverb?    

Noun or adverb?

brahmam
India

Noun or adverb?

Please tell me whether the word �Thursday � in the following sentence is a noun or an adverb. Polling in these areas will be held on Thursday. Thanks in advance.

21 Jan 2010      

lshorton99
China

Noun. It �s like saying �on the moon �.

21 Jan 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

yes, I agree - it is a noun

adverbs of frequency are - always, often, regularly, sometimes, rarely, seldom, never...

21 Jan 2010     

Carla Horne
United States

Both replies are correct, but may I please add that "on Thursday" is a prepositional phrase, and prepositional phrases always begin with a preposition and end with the object of the preposition. Of course, the object of a preposition is ALWAYS a noun or a pronoun.

Good luck,
Carla

21 Jan 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Oh YES! The prepositional phrase :-D
Thanks Carla, that �s what I was trying to remember for the last few minutes...

At the minimum, a prepositional phrase begins with a preposition and end with a noun, pronoun, gerund, or clause, the "object" of the preposition...

Adjectives modify nouns.......
Adverbs modify, or further describe, verbs....

21 Jan 2010     

HARIM
Morocco

I �d like to add that all the prepositional phrase "on Thursday" is an adverb of time answering the question when.But "Thursday" is a noun used as an object of the preposition .
Hope it �s clear
Cheers

21 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

well.....I do not agree.
If it tells when something happens, it �s an adverb: I �ll leave on Sunday. (you can ask a question like: when?so it will be a time adverb)
but: Sunday is my favorite day of the week. is a noun. (here the question to be asked is different:What/which is my favorite day of the week)

21 Jan 2010     

douglas
United States

It �s a noun used as the object of a preposition.

21 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Take a look:
and:
(the first document)
the first document,too 

Please give links or, at least, a source to check the availability of your statements. 

21 Jan 2010     

lshorton99
China

But as your first link states �you use noun groups as adverbials of time � - the word �Thursday � is still a noun. It �s used as part of a time expression but that doesn �t change the word itself. Thursday is never an adverb, however it is used as part of an adverbial or prepositional phrase.

21 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

In this case, people shouldn �t bother to ask. They just can look up in a dictionary and there is a definition and next to it , they state the grammatical category of the word. That should be enough! 

21 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >