Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > help for the translation in French    

help for the translation in French

swissprof
Switzerland

help for the translation in French

Goood morning !

Who could give me the French translation of these two lines taken from "we are the champions".

I �ve taken my bows
And my curtain calls -

I understand each word but I �d like to know how you would translate the sentences for your students.

Thank  you very  much from cold and foggy Switzerland

24 Jan 2010      

FroggyClaudine
France

I think the idea would be something like "J �ai salu� le public et profit� des rappels" in the context of a concert, that �s what I understand with a hello from cloudy East of France not that far from your foggy Switzerland

24 Jan 2010     

sorji
Tunisia

Exactly claudine, that �s the accurate transaltion, the first line means" saluer le public" , the second line has the compound word curatin call, meaning the appearance of the singer or actor or performer in general to acknowledge the applause of the audience,

So I take a bow, I take a curtain call, they all mean bowing to recieve the applause of the audience
I hope I am right 

24 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, sorji. I don �t know French, but the interpretation you gave in English is correct, so the French is probably correct.

Bruce, in very rainy Ohio, USA

24 Jan 2010     

swissprof
Switzerland

Thanks  a lot Claudine ! Thank you for your help !  Clap

24 Jan 2010