Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > on the left or to the left    

on the left or to the left

Aldegunde
Spain

on the left or to the left

Hi everybody!

I also need your help to clarify a couple of grammatical questions.
When you are describing a room which one is correct: "On the left of the desk there is a wardrobe" or "to the left...". And the second one is the position of frequency adverbs in compound tenses: "He will have already arrived" or "he will already have arrived". Thanks in advance for your help.

26 Jan 2010      

aquarius_gr
Greece

1) "to the left"
2) both are correct

26 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Hi! As for the room description - if you �re talking about the stationary position of something, use ON, because TO implies movement. So if you describe the position of the wardrobe, it �s on the left, but if you describe to somebody how to get there, then it �s go to the left of the classroom or whatever.
As for the position of the single-word adverb, the second one is correct in written English, so �he will already have arrived �, whereas in spoken English it should follow the natural flow of thought, so you can �t really be as strict as with written....

Examples:

(from http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/futureperfect.html - check out adverb placement)
  • You will only have learned a few words.
  • Will you only have learned a few words?

26 Jan 2010     

Aldegunde
Spain

Thanks a lot for your help Anitarobi. I thought it had more to do with the use of the preposition "of" :"on the left" "to the left of something" but I wasn �t sure about it.

26 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

Aldegunde, you are right about "of".
My car is the one on the left.
My car is to the left of yours.
When you leave here, go to the left.

Bruce

26 Jan 2010     

aquarius_gr
Greece

Your sentence has �of � ... it �s "to the left of the desk" not on