Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Rookies, no more questions!!!!    

Rookies, no more questions!!!!

sorji
Tunisia

Rookies, no more questions!!!!

Dear teachers,
I am sorry to bring up a topic that may sound out of place, but I am compelled to relate the very bad story I had a few a minutes ago and that I really take to heart.
I have recieved a pm from a member called azzero, it read:"You are always asking for help just like a kid.Grow up before someone makes  a fool of you!!!!."

I am a novice teacher who asks for your help because he needs it.I was so happy to find a website gathering teachers all over the world who give me useful tips to improve my teaching techniques and methodologies in general.I never thought I was making a mistake asking for help.Indeed, all your tips and brilliant ideas have greatly benefited me and my students.I sometimes felt embarassed to ask so many questions, but your willingness to help me out pushed me to bring up everything that seemed hard for me to understand.
I loved you, and I felt at home,surrounded by teachers who are willing to stay up until late to provide help.
I never thought that one day someone would  pop up to tell me, come on grow up, you kid!!!Just because I ask questions to give my students the best I can.He extinguished the anticipation and excitement that have been sparkling in my eyes as a teacher.I have never felt so discouraged, coward and helpless.
I am terribly sorry,dear teachers, for pestering you with my questions.But that �s all I can do to better myself, asking questions and questions, even philosophers asked questions, let alone a poor rookie!
Can �t I ask questions???If so, I �d better leave for good.
I know this member wishes I could quit, because he is Arab, and needless to say that some Arabs �hearts are just smouldering with hatred and malice, that �s a fact that cannot be controverted.
Would you really make a fool of me because of my inquisitiveness?

28 Jan 2010      

tancredo
Portugal

Certainly not! keep asking your questions. The answers, people in the site give you, are both useful for teachers beginning a career as for those who are about to end it. Exchanging knowledge is a way to overcoming our difficulties and making things clearer.

Why should you feel a coward? You should feel a coward if you didn �t know things and didn �t bother to look for an answer.

Our profession is a long life - learning process, so keep asking what you don �t know.

As for Azzero being an arab,what �s race got to do with it?
More power to your elbow!

28 Jan 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Please, don �t quit .... actually I �ve had questions like yours these days and  by reading the answers you got I was able to answer mine. We are here to help one another and no one can tell you otherwise. If you ask and if I have a good ideaI will sare it with you and with anyone who ask. I support you I �ll be here for you and for anyone who needs me.

Bere

28 Jan 2010     

Bare
Croatia

Forget the pm ! Wink

Forum is made for asking questions... if I �m not interested in some topics I don �t read them. So should the others...

28 Jan 2010     

teacherflorida
United States

Doctors practice their entire life and as many professions do, so don �t we. We as Teachers have to come together because we all have been there and still get there from time to time.
Remember; one person cannot extinguish your light. As Teachers we have to compete with a multitude of electronic stimuli that the students get from tv. music .ipods,  cell phones and so on. We have to talk to each other to keep their attention and their desire to want to be there.
We became Teachers because we love to teach and we have to take the good days with the bad days. Yes I am up many nights very late creating new ideas to get through to all the students not just the good ones. I have told students and parents alike that I do seven shows a day five days a week and they must like it ,because they keep coming back.  Out of my 150 students 148 passed the state writing test. Your students will not give up until you do.
Be strong, believe in who you are and what you are trying to accomplish. Never stop asking questions. Young or old remember its not the years its the milage and as long as we make it through life with most of our original parts we have done well.
Keep your chin up the majority is behind you. Okay, now that you are not alone in this smile.

please write any time
kevin

28 Jan 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Keep asking and forget the PM...
No question is silly and all answers help teachers all round the world, me included...
Best wishes,
Moravc.

28 Jan 2010     

lshorton99
China

I personally love reading questions. I have a quiet moment of pride if I know the answer and read with interest when I do not. I believe teachers should never stop developing and certainly never stop questioning.

Also, thinking about some of the kids I teach, I would take azzero �s message as a compliment. For kids, every day is an adventure. Every class they are bright and keen to learn something new. They experience the joy of discovery that I think we sometimes forget. To learn like a child is a gift, in my opinion, so keep on asking the questions. If you don �t ask, how are you supposed to learn anything?! I believe that the majority of people on here welcome the questioning.

I do have to agree with tancredo, though. It may be an undisputed fact that some human �s hearts are smouldering with hatred and malice but to generalise based on race is just as hurtful and wrong as the message sent to you by azzero. I hope this site is a place where neither are tolerated.

28 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

As long as you are receiving answers, you have proof that you are not "pestering" us. Of course your tender heart is bothered by the cruel and rude message you received, but I know that the encouragement we are giving you will overcome that completely.

Bruce, your friend in Ohio, USA

28 Jan 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

In a class of 25 students, you �ll find that some of them work really hard, some are easy learners, some have learning disabilities and some are there simply to sabotage. Yet, we roll up our sleeves and go at it day in day out. It is human nature. Some people will never get along. Let �s not make it a race thing. This site is like a classroom.

Do what you have to do and don �t sweat the small stuff. If you need to ask a question, go ahead.

28 Jan 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

Come on Sorji,

Don �t let yourself go down. Keep on posing the problems that pop into your mind. Do not worry about those kind of issues. I suppose you are not a native speaker, and, as you state, you are starting a career in teaching English. So, it is quite natural that you have a lot of doubts and I don �t think people are going to make fun of you. Every time I have a problem so far, lots of people did their best to be helpful and I did whatever I could also to help others. This is really about sharing and I grew up, indeed, both as a teacher and as a person.

Keep on feeling at ease to ask whatever bothers you.

Hugs (I �m sleepy and off to bed, so good night, sleep tight)
Nat�lia

28 Jan 2010     

sa3ida
Tunisia

"I know this member wishes I could quit, because he is Arab, and needless to say that some Arabs �hearts are just smouldering with hatred and malice, that �s a fact that cannot be controverted."

aren �t you one of these arabs??? didn �t you ask your compatriot akram73 yesterday to go and play with his matches?? so please do the same and beat it because you �re a shame on arabs and on us Tunisians. I wonder to whom you are pouring this flood of tears and to whom you are complaining? Please stop acting the pitiable and try to stand erect otherwise you �ll be trodden and stop showering others with futile insults. At the end you are muslims and you should be proud of this.

28 Jan 2010     

1    2    3    Next >