Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teachinga blind student    

teachinga blind student

dublinschool
Spain

teachinga blind student

Hello everybody!!

I have been asked to teach English to a blind lady. She �s my age more or less and she has never done English before. I haven �t spoken to her yet, and I do not know if she reads Braille or not. I do know she can see very very little if it �s something written on a small blackboard that she can near to her eyes. She �s planning to go to India and spend some months there, so I guess she �s going to be needing English to get herself understood and be able to comunicate with others.
Any ideas on how to get started? material.. resources...etc
thanks a lot!!
jenSmile

29 Jan 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
i �ve never worked with blind students, however I think you should work a lot on oral comprehension, since indian prononciation can be quite hard. try to find a couple of easy soundtracks of indian people presenting themselves. have a look at the website www.elllo.org.
good luck!

29 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Use lots of listening activities and speaking as well. That �s what she �ll need. You can use a recording in the same way as a written text sometimes - e. g. for a fill-in task, just turn down the volume at the place you want her to be active. As for vocabulary, you �ll see how much she knows when you start, but use real objects and the sense of smell and sounds to teach stuff you would normally use flashcards for (e. g. let her touch and feel a bag and teach the word for it, let her smell some food and provide a word). You can �t really provide lists of vocabulary for her to study by heart, but sensory learning is long-lasting. As for resources, try googling listening and speaking activities, and there are lots of sounds you can download for free (sounds you have in a normal cell phone - e. g. nature, animals, transportation). It may seem to you too child-like, but believe me - she will retain vocabulary much better using her senses, because that �s how she lives and manages in everyday life. Songs are also a fun way, because you can choose from what she likes and she can remember whole phrases. As for ESL materials, go to the search engine and look for speaking, listening activities and even games. You can read them, if she can �t, and they will help you a lot. There are also lots of free online or downloadable audio books and short stories she might enjoy.

29 Jan 2010     

izulia
China

I have to admit that I have never thought of teaching English to blind people. I can understand it can �t be easy and I just wanted to say well done to dublinschool who is going to do that.

I was also impressed by anitarobi who gave so many useful suggestions! What a wonderful community this is!

29 Jan 2010     

dublinschool
Spain

thanks a lot. You have been really helpful!! I �ll let you guys know how I �m doing as soon as I get started! feel free to email me if you have more ideas or you know of any resource website
thanks!   Big smile

29 Jan 2010