Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Vocabulary vs. Grammar     

Vocabulary vs. Grammar

Samantha.esl
Italy

Vocabulary vs. Grammar

Hi!

I �m searching for works dealing with the
�difference in acquiring vocabulary and grammar. � So I thougth I �d ask here if any of you, teachers, have any links, works, comments, experience or anything you could share with me regarding this topic!

Thank you very much!

5 Feb 2010      

tahriali
Tunisia

Hi Samantha
In Modern SLA, language acquisition is made into separate fields each studying one language aspect from a specific angle. The best who dealt with this difference thoroughly is STEPHEN KRASHEN. Y ou may try these.
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s9808690/finalpaper2.pdf
http://www.languageimpact.com/articles/rw/krashenbk.htm
http://www.tesisenxarxa.net/TESIS_UB/AVAILABLE/TDX-0421109-111918//01.IMP_CHAPTER_1_INTRODUCTION.pdf

I can send you different articles through gmail if you are interested. 

5 Feb 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I �ll check the sites.. thank you! I �ve read some papers by Krashen and I need to find some research done on this topic. The difference in acquiring vocabulary and grammar. Some say it �s easier to learn grammar than vocabulary.... and I want to know why is it easier to remember and use grammar rules than vocabulary.

5 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Sam

These references may be of assistance.  They are all books except for one video.  If you have access to education journals you should be able to find some good info also.

BROWN, H.D. (2000). Principles of language learning and teaching (4th ed.). New York: Addison Wesley Longman.

CARTER, S & LEASK, B. (1994). �A study of a successful second-language learner�. In BURTON, J. (Ed) Perspectives on the classroom. Centre for Applied Linguistics, University of South Australia, Adelaide.

COHEN, A. (1998). Strategies in learning and using a second language. London: Wesley Longman, London.

Second language acquisition and the language curriculum. (1986). Video recording. AMEP National Curriculum Resource Centre, Adelaide College of Tafe, Renaissance Centre Adelaide. A Light Image Production.

EXTRA, G. & VAN HOUT, R. (1996). �Second language acquisition by adult immigrants: a multiple case study of Turkish and Moroccan learners of Dutch�. In JORDENS, P. & LALLEMAN, J. (eds.) Investigating second language acquisition.  Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

RICHARDS, J. (1990). The language teaching matrix. Cambridge University Press.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Feb 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Thank you Jayho! I �ll check the sites, I �ll hopefully find what I �m looking for. Thank you for your reply and time! 

6 Feb 2010