Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ..................................    

lshorton99
China

Personally, I find dividing worksheets and powerpoints a pain and would rather forfeit extra points in order to save the time dividing were the maximum file size greater or docx/pptx format allowed!

I also agree that it would be easier if the rules were seen before uploading.

Plus, IMHO, an esl resource is anything that helps you teach English. Sometimes, as a teacher, I just want a quick worksheet to reinforce a language point and the ones where learners have to draw can be just as useful as the amazing powerpoints with games and graphics. It all depends on the situation.

Basically, I think I agree with ladybird, baiba and of course lana.

Have a lovely week everyone! Big smile

8 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

I �d like to add a little suggestion to Phillip �s idea of removing work with under 5 points after a month. I think it would be fair if the "points" were not removed, since for many people five points is a lot. For many of us old members, five points is nothing, but to a new member it is a lot and they may need them to download things that aren �t free.

8 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

That �s a nice discussion going on here. Hope Victor can read it and other members will also give their ideas. Truly, many people don �t bother to read the rules at all. And as for putting them somewhere else, i don �t know. Where? On the main page? I can �t see it happening.
About points i agree with Zora, if a ws is deleted, the points should stay

8 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

This thread is useful and necessary. Thanks Silke! As some have commented, I also have some questions to add or enforce:

Rules are to protect the members and their work so they have to be clear and stated at the same place for everyone to see and consult when necessary, or they�ll confuse people. I confess that sometimes I feel confused at the reporting page and need to read other comments before collecting my thoughts. And there are some special cases and rules added or cleared at the forum, so one never is secure enough.

-       flashcards are allowed in sets of at least 4. Are they to be uploaded at the same document to be considered a set? What if the member uploads several documents as part of the same set, in different dates? Should they be removed if the size permits them to be uploaded in a single document? What�s to be considered a �flashcard�? A single picture taken from the net or a large high-definition picture with frames and words added by the member? Should the member state where he took the pictures from, so we�ll be able to check if they are really flashcards made by the member or just pictures pasted in a word document?

-       pictures are to be considered only clipart or are they considered a useful resource when they are part of a series? In this case, is the series to be voted and judged as a whole or their parts are to be voted separately? If the size permits to upload them together, are they to be removed or considered as a part of the first?

-       Are texts copied from the net to be considered as a �reading task�, since there�s a �reading� section? Are tasks added as suggestions in the description to be considered enough as �the member�s work�? What kind of tasks are to be considered enough to let a ws stay if with part of it is taken from the net? Are they to be allowed even if the member doesn�t state the source? What�s the difference whether the member added the tasks in the document or in the description?

-       Is obvious work like the numbers with the word written or an alphabet with the sound transcription to be accepted as a useful resource even if they are the same as we find in our books, just changing the layout? Are they to be considered �original�? (if the answer is �yes� we need other definition for �original� with a greater range of options).

-       Some rules or clarification about them were stated on the forum and just a few members saw them. How about a complete transcription of them at the uploading page?

-       How about a warning on the �three strikes� at the uploading page? Are the profiles deleted at the third strike only if we provide a link or does it happen every time three wss are removed as copies? If a link is a condition to remove a profile after three strikes, what happens if they are copied from a book (no link is provided in this case). Should they have a lower punishment?

-       The option: not an ESL resource is not very clear. Should some examples be given among the rules so new members will feel secure about what is allowed and what�s not?

-       Shouldn�t the member receive all the comments he gets under a removed worksheet, so he�ll have clearer reasons why it was deleted?

8 Feb 2010     

victor
Spain

Hi,

As Philip says, that sentence refers to worksheets over 300 kb.
Anyway, this is not a reason to report and remove a worksheet. If a user decides to upload a worksheet in two different parts, it will take the same space in the web server. Moreover, I think it can �t be considered an strategy to get more points, because many users will refrain from downloading if they need to spend many points to download the whole set.

So please, don �t report worksheets just because they have been divided unnecessarily.

Concerning your other comments, the fact is that the rules appear before you upload a worksheet, not afterwards.
Anyway, I agree that the rules should be clearly published all together in one place. I will start working on that tomorrow.

8 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Thanks, Victor!!!Thumbs Up

8 Feb 2010     

victor
Spain

Ladybird: I  guess you mean this:

I �ll take it into account, and the cases mentioned here by Zailda.

8 Feb 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Ladybird
Your sentence is taken out of context - the whole sentence says

IMPORTANT: the maximum filesize is 300Kb. If you have a larger file, you could try this:

- If you have more than 1 worksheet, try to divide them in different documents.
- If your document includes images, try to reduce the size and quality.

So what people have to do is "lighten" the worksheets.

I hardly ever download worksheets where the key is uploaded seperately.

8 Feb 2010     

scampi
Spain

Hi everyone

Was just reading the comments having just this minute uploaded three worksheets as part of a set.  They are all about 150 ish each one as I have already reduced the size of them.  I would just like to say that my internet connection is absolutely awlful so therefore if I send a big one for example a 200 or 250 worksheet then it usually comes back with an error message.  his isn �t from the website but just my internet as it is really slow.  Therefore please don �t think I have done it on purpose, it was just the easiest for me to do it in this way.  Maybe others have the same problem.  Additionally, I think people will only download what they want to anyway.

8 Feb 2010     

Vivi Quir
Argentina

I would also like to make a point again of the fact that 30 points, to me, is really too little to become  a"premium member" I really like that idea of keeping that category for some time, otherwise the member will "relax" too much and not upload anything for months...

8 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2