Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A debate    

A debate

Denisa
Romania

A debate

Hi, friends!
I am curious and I �d like to know your opinion: what are the reasons that make you choose a manual, a support-book for your students(or your classes)?
What qualities must a manual have or what are the features that you take into consideration when choosing a manual?
Eager to find out your thoughts,

8 Feb 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

I made the choice long ago to not work with a manual but with my own material. It �s not that I did not like what was published, it �s because I like a bit of everything and never a whole textbook. I �ve called  publishers asking if I could buy units instead of the whole thing and they refused.  I can �t afford to buy from a variety of publishers so because of that, I �ve decided to go with my own material. Since then, most of my colleagues have started doing the same thing and now, we exchange our stuff and our classes are so much richer because of that and the kids are enjoying the classes a lot more because we work with things that are not outdated.

8 Feb 2010     

tancredo
Portugal

In Portugal, the Ministry of Education sends the orientations that teachers should follow when choosing a manual: if it is in accordance with the national syllabus, the price, the variety of exercises (to comprehend the different skills), if the manual has any kind of scientific errors, etc, etc...
Around April, May, publishing houses send to schools free samples of their manuals for the teachers to analyse . Sometimes we have more than 5 books for the same form to analyse. Then, we have to fill in a grid (sent by the ministry) to see which book is better, bearing in mind the orientations of the ministry of education.
What we have then, is a whole country, having completely different manuals for the same form, which is OK for everybody. Sometimes, when we get at the end of the school year, we think that our choice should have been different. But nothing can be done now, because we have to have the same book, at least during four years, in the same form.
As for private schools I think that who chooses the manual is the head of department, I really don �t know.
Have a nice week!
Leonor

8 Feb 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I �m going to write some things, but bear in mind that they �re not really in the order of importance, just as they come to my mind...
- usefulness (I don �t like books with tons of practice material which is not really useful)
- appearance (in a private school, parents really want to pay for the books that looks good, modern, contemporary and is good quality)
- material organisation (clearly laid out topics, clear lesson structure, clear goals, themes and grammar topics)
- good audio backup (some courses look fine, but their audio is horrible)
- a simple and effective teachers � book (easy to follow, with backup tests and additional material which allows creativity)
- suitable for the knowledge level and age of the sts
- usu, if a manual/coursebook complicates the introduction and lesson plans too much, it �s not effective - if you know sth well, you know how to explain it simply
- important - when we find sth good, we don �t go for innovations too often - we �re not stuck on old material, but if a material is good, why change it just to get nice new covers

I also agree with manonski about using my own material - sometimes the book is just an additional burden. I also love working �without a net �, but I like to have books for the sake of the parents and the sts - it provides a safety net and a reference for them, and I know that �s important for them. But I use the book as a guideline, not as a cage. It �s supposed to help teachers, not limit their work.
If we can �t prepare a good lesson without a book (esp a teachers � book), then we are not teachers, but still just students.

8 Feb 2010     

Denisa
Romania

Well, thank you all for your answers.
As for us, in Romania is quite similar to Portugal, as I understand. We are somehow forced to have a manual, we are given a list of them(we have "alternative" manuals-that is many books for each grade...) and we have to choose one of them for our students. We are supposed to do that knowing our students level, their knowledge, their interests, our objectives...but sometimes we don �t have a clue about that manual, as we don �t have a sample of it...so, like you �ve said, leonor, we are forced to make a choice that we can regret later...
 Yes, we have to have a manual, but nobody says that this should be the "cage"...this is only a "support", a base, and I also like to have my own things brought to my courses...I �m not obliged to stick with it, it �s my own shoice if I want to skip something, to add something or to keep it only for some tasks.

Hugs from the heavily snowy Romania,

8 Feb 2010     

silviamontra
Spain

Hi there,

my opinion is a bit different. In Spain we aren �t "obliged" to use a book. It is the teachers or the school, maximum, the ones that decide what to use. We can contact the publishing houses who usually send a book or even a sales representative with the books, so that we can get familiar with them and we can choose it as our course book.
I would say most of us use a book, and please DO contradict me if I am wrong. For me, it is more comfortable, and so is it for students. You know, working with B/W photocopies all the time makes things a bit boring, at least to me. Furthermore, if students have a book, in a way they feel they know where they are, they have something solid to look at and say: I �ve done this, but I haven �t done that yet.
Obviuosly, having a book does not mean you have to follow all the units, and all the exercises religiously. In my case, the perfect option is a thin book, that will cover all the essential grammar topics and then your own material to cover extra grammar, vocabulary, etc that you want to teach. And since we don �t have access in every classroom to the necessary equipment to do many things online, I cannot use all the great websites, for example to practise listening. So, again, a book is of great help here.
And after all, usually behind a book there is a group of people who have spent a lot of the time thinking about how things should be done. So why not profit from this work? 

8 Feb 2010