Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Do you know any game using going to for elementary students?    

Do you know any game using going to for elementary students?

fanaticorojo
Argentina

Do you know any game using going to for elementary students?

I need a game to use going to, please.

20 Sep 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

As an introductory activity make sentences similar to the ones below but using a range of places and activities, give them to the children in the form of sentence cards. The children have to match the correct places with the correct activities.  The sentence cards could have pictures of the places and activities on the back.

Show the children some flashcards of different places, the children have to make a sentence - eg:

Teacher: Show a flashcard of the park and ask "Where are you going?"
Child: I am going to the park.
Teacher: What will you do at the park?
Child: I am going to play on the swings.

I hope this helps.
Vicki

20 Sep 2008     

cely
Argentina

HI , i think a good way ( at least for my students) to practice can be "MIMIC",  I USE IT WHEN I WANT TO PRACTICE PRESENT CONTINUOUS.
YOU CAN CREAT THE SENTENCES BEFORE OR YOU CAN ASK THEM TO MAKE THEIR OWN SENTENCES.
THE STUDENTS THEN  CHOOSE A SENTENCE  ( WRITTEN IN A PIECE OF PAPER) AND HAVE TO MIME IT, IN FRONT OF THE CLASSROOM, AND SO ON.
YOU CAN ALSO MAKE THE SENTENCES USING PICTURES INSTEAD OF VERBS , TO MAKE IT A BIT MORE DIFFICULT.

EX: SHE IS GOING TO EAT A BIG ICE-CREAM.
I HOPE IT HELPS YOU!!
CELY

21 Sep 2008     

Choli
Argentina

Cely�s idea is great. I suggest a slight variation in order to make the activity meaningful. Ask the student to mime an action but freeze before performing the action. I know I�m not clear enough.
E.g. You or another student whispers �ou are going to eat an ice cream� to the student who�s going to mime the action. He/she should mime going to the shop, buying an ice cream cone and freeze the instant before eating the ice cream.
You can pretend you have a remote control and you stop the scene at that moment.
So the rest of the class or his/her team should guess: She/he is going to eat an ice cream.

Another game: Change places if... you are going to the cinema tomorrow.
I included this game in my last worksheet. Games, activities and projects to teach Clothes. You can adapt most of the ideas to suit other teaching points. You might want to have a look at this game:

Of course I�m not asking you to download it. You can glance through the document while it scrolls down.

I hope it helps you Big smile

Hugs
Choli

21 Sep 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, fanaticorojo
I posted a very simple one some time ago, you can have a look.
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=56655#this

21 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi fanatic - I have uploaded my �I am going to� domino games for you - just check out my printables if you want them.  IF you do not have enough points to download just email me.
Have just uploaded my �going to� senternce construction game for you.  I hope one of these can be helpful.

22 Sep 2008     

puspita
Indonesia

Another game is that you draw a picture step by step. 

First, write "you�re going to..."  on the board.

Next, start drawing step by step.  At each step, students are guessing what you actually want to draw ("you�re going to draw a tv, you�re going to draw a cup, ..." etc).  Shake your head if their answer is wrong and continue drawing. Stop drawing and motion to the phrase on the board whenever students forget to say �you�re going to...�. 
If students can guess correctly, nod approvingly and finish the drawing quickly. Then, give compliments to students who can guess correctly like "You�re going to have an A", or "You�re going to be a star" etc.

Hope this is also helpful.

23 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

What a fantastic idea puspita.  Thank you
I tried this yesterday.  My kids loved it.  I changed it slightly.  We had teams - which ever team guessed correctly had one of their members go up to the board and draw the next picture.  It was so funny seeing the children turn to their class mates - and say "I can�t hear you..." when a student forgot to say "you are going to..."

It really gives you an insight into your own teaching when you see your students mimic you!

One of the children drew a picture of me - it was hilarious - I was so pleased to see I had a gigantic smile, and she even drew my funky glasses, I was rather slimmer in her picture as well!  I love kids! Thanks for the very fun lesson!

23 Sep 2008     

class centre
Belarus

Puspita, I will try it tomorrow!
Natasha

24 Sep 2008     

puspita
Indonesia

Glad I can help.   Though I must confess that this is not my original idea: someone introduced me to this idea long time ago.

26 Sep 2008     

spring
Turkey

Woww....So fresh ideas.I like them all.And this is what I do.

After teaching "going to" I always make my ss play "prediction game".
I bring different posters to the class especially the ones including scenes from movies.
I distrubute them to the group of Ss.In turn Ss act the scene in front of others.They just stay silent and do not move.But before acting the scene the group decides on a final scene,without mentioning it to the others.
Meanwhile other ss try to guess the next step..If  the decided final is found(I mean correct prediction),now it is time for others to act out.
This game is also very funny because it improves students� imagination.Final scenes and predictions are very different and irrelavant from the given scene.So it provokes lots of laughter.
A scene about a fight may finish with love.It is up to students creativity and imagination...

28 Sep 2008     

1    2    Next >