Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help...    

I need your help...

poki
Slovenia

I need your help...

Is is more correct to say: "Tell me more about you" or "Tell me more about yourself"? Ermm I found both possibilities here on ESLprintables, though I would use the second option. I �m planning to make a wss with some simple questions (What �s your favourite colour?...) and I really don �t know which possibility to use!

Another thing I wanted to ask... Can anyone please help me with these sentences. I found them in some ws, but I �m not sure what the answers are...

Ben _______ (meet) Tim last week. They _______ (not see) each other since they ____ (go) to Linda �s party last year.

Maybe (met / haven �t seen / went)????

Thank you for your help!!!
Polona

10 Feb 2010      

teachertonyinchina
China

I would use tell me more about yourself.

Ben (met) Tim last week. They (haven �t seen) each other since they (went) to Linda �s party last year.

10 Feb 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

tell me more about yourself - definitely that!
As for the other one, I agree with teachertonyinchina, though I do believe it should be They hadn �t seen each other... because they did last week, so there �s no link to the present. (perhaps, just to make things even more clear, I �d even change Linda �s party last year to Linda �s party the year before... something is off there, a bit confusing...) But maybe I �m just complicating too much. Let �s hear other opinions!

10 Feb 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Anita is right. It has to be hadn �t since haven �t is present tense.

10 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Anita is correct and to add even more of a twist here since it does sound strange, I �d say that it sounds a bit better like this - or at least to me, it does:

Ben met Tim last week. They hadn �t seen each other since they had been to Linda �s party last year.

10 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

I disagree with Zora. I think the best is "Ben met Tim last week. They hadn �t seen each other since they went to Linda �s party last year." It could also be, "They hadn �t seen each other since Linda �s party last year.", but that avoids the third verb, and this is a verb activity.

It must be "hadn �t seen each other", because, as I always tell my students, the past perfect is the past of the past, or things that happened before the past tense (went, in this case).

Bruce

10 Feb 2010     

poki
Slovenia

Thank you so much!!!

11 Feb 2010