Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is there a mistake?    

Is there a mistake?

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Is there a mistake?

Hello everyone!�

I need your advise. I �ve found a strange sentence (in my opinion) in my pupil �s book (printed in Russia):

"A lot of fruit grows on trees"

I would say: "A lot of fruit grow", because in American books I saw the sentence:

"Are there any fish in the fridge?"

So, does the form of the predicate depend on the sense of the subject or on the form of the subject?

What �s your point of view? I do need your opinion.�

12 Feb 2010      

tahriali
Tunisia

"fruit" is an uncountable noun that should always be used in the plural.
"Fish", however, in this sentence "Are there any fish in the fridge?" is the irregular plural form of "fish"- Just notice that "fish" has two plural forms: fishes/ fish.
f
ish noun (pl. fish or fishes). Fish is the usual plural form. The older form, fishes, can be used to refer to different kinds of fish.

12 Feb 2010     

roadrunnerr
Turkey

tahriali I don �t agree with you for your first opinion which is about "fruit" because fruit is not an always uncountable noun it has also its plural form "fruits" . Thus, both "a lot of fruit" and "a lot of  fruits" are acceptable; moreover, a lot of & lots of have the meaning  "a great quantity" (but for some experts lots of is more than a lot of)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fruit

12 Feb 2010     

aquarius_gr
Greece

Grammatically, fruit is an uncountable noun always used in singular.

"A lot of fruit grows on trees"   is absolutely correct.

12 Feb 2010     

roadrunnerr
Turkey

Yes, but there are situations in which it (fruit) is used to refer the species.

12 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

roadrunnerr is correct about fruit being countable when it refers to species.

If I heard "A lot of fruit grows on trees", I would think of it as a quantity statement, saying that trees bear a large quantity of fruit.

"A lot of fruits grow on trees" says to me that many different kinds grow on trees, but others grow on vines and bushes.

I don �t think I would ever say, "A lot of fruit grow on trees."

Generally, fish as food is uncountable, and the animal is countable. If I heard "Are there any fish in the fridge?", I would laugh, because I would picture live fish swimming in the vegetable bin. When asking about food, it must be "Is there any fish in the fridge?"

tahriali is correct that you can use "fishes" to refer to different kinds, but we would more commonly say "kinds of fish", as in "There are many kinds of fish in this lake." It �s correct to say "There are many fishes in this lake", but it is very uncommon and doesn �t sound very natural.

Bruce

12 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi everyone

I think there might be a difference between American and British English usage.

While Yanogator probably would not say "A lot of fruit grow on trees" here downunder we would.  "A lot of fruits grows on trees", to us, just does not sound correct.  I googled it and found an interesting link here: http://www.englishforums.com/English/FruitFruitsFishFishes/hbkq/post.htm

BTW, this has been discussed on the forum before so maybe the previous posts may shed more light.

Cheers

Jayho

13 Feb 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

In America, fishes is a verb.  Fruit is NEVER plural when talking about the food.  I had never heard of fruits until I came to Hong Kong. It sounds strange to me.  We use fruit for both singular AND plural, much like deer or sheep.  Fruits is only to talk about the results of an action:fruits of labor, fruits of hard work etc....

13 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Sorry to disagree with you, Spagman63, but I bought three different fruits today - strawberries, bananas and apples.
The experts say to eat five fruits and vegetables every day.
Some fruits contain large seeds called pits.

In Ohio, at least, no one would say "fruit" in any of those sentences.
Bruce

13 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

yanogator - three different,  five,  some - are quantifiers -so you have to use fruits

But would  you ask - Do you eat fruits and vegetables every day?
          or   Do you eat fruit and vegetables every day?

13 Feb 2010     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Dear colleagues,�

thanks a lot for your replies.I �ll correct my mistake.

13 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >