Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > WHICH or WHAT    

WHICH or WHAT

marta_marta
Poland

WHICH or WHAT

Hello everybody,

I have a problem concerning grammar and I �ll be extremelly grateful if anyone could help.

Which sentence is correct?

A) I propose that we should provide group discounts, which would encourage people to (...)

B) I propose that we should provide group discounts, what would encourage people to (...)

I think A is correct but I �m not fully convinced. What do you think?
Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Marta

14 Feb 2010      

marta_marta
Poland

Dear Silke,

Thank you so much for your immediate response! I really appreciate it :-)

Hugs,
Marta

14 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Marta,
Silke made a small change to your sentence by removing the comma.

Your original sentence had a comma, and only "which" is correct, as she said. In that sentence, "which" refers to the action of providing discounts.

Silke �s revisions are both correct, but in her sentences, "which" and "that" refer to the discounts themselves.

The difference is small, and now, thanks to Silke, you have three correct sentences to use.

Bruce

14 Feb 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

Thank you Bruce! To be honest I haven �t noticed that in Silke �s sentences there are no commas. Now, I see the difference :-)
By the way, can we use a comma before "what" in any sentence?

14 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Generally speaking, there won �t be a comma before "what". There are probably some specific instances where it could happen, though.

14 Feb 2010     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Sentence A. is definitely correct.
I think you should NOT remove the comma because the clause �which would encourage people to (...) � is NON-DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSE (Some would call it a connective clause.)
The comma is therefore necessary here. The relative clause is extra/supplementary information that can be omitted.
ALI

19 Feb 2010     

mizutamari
United States

I also agree that you need the comma.

23 Feb 2010