Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > teaching vocab    

teaching vocab

sassouki
Tunisia

teaching vocab

hi everyone, I have a question: when should vocab be taught? I mean at which stage of a lesson?
well, I �ll try to explain how things work in our textbooks:
we have a warm-up: some questions or pictures to start with (raise interest in the topic)
then we have the main skill of the lesson (generally listening or reading)
during this stage we have to teach grammar, functions and vocab
finally we can practise then finish up with a productive activity like a role-play or a writing activity.
I �m asking about stage (2)  (the reading or listening stage)
I want to know whether I should teach vocab before starting the comprehension questions (filling in a table, wh questions...) or should I do it when I �m done with the comprehension questions.
In my opinion: it �s better to do it before the comprehension questions because once pupils understand the vocab, they �ll be able to answer the questions. but it �s not recommended. some say that it should be dealt with while answering the comprehension questions
what about you?

17 Feb 2010      

dyanapaul
Romania

it is not always indicated to teach vocabulary first because students could be able to guess the meaning from the context which is a very useful technique....but when it is a very difficult text you could explain them the new words before reading the text. Maybe you could do a "little" experiment on the same lesson with 2 different classes and see the result...Good luck! and let us know what is your verdict!

17 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

In this wonderful thread you �ll find some ideas on how to deal vocabulary & texts.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=16598

Have a nice day!

17 Feb 2010