Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help to put the verbs in brackets into Past Simple, Rerfect or Continious    

Help to put the verbs in brackets into Past Simple, Rerfect or Continious

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Help to put the verbs in brackets into Past Simple, Rerfect or Continious

It �s very important for me. I want to compare my answer with others.

I
- Where were you last night?
- I was at the cinema. I ... (watch) a great film when a fire ... (break out).
- Oh! How ... (it/happen)?
- Someone ... (drop) a match into a waste-paper basket.
II - I lost my keys yesterday.
- Where ... (you/lose) them?
- I don �t know. I ... (go) shopping and when I got back, I ... (see) that ... (leave) my keys somewhere.

Thanks in advance!!!

17 Feb 2010      

apayala
Spain

In my opinion:

was watching
broke down
did it happen
had dropped
did you lose
went
saw
had left

17 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

I agree with apayala but I should add that a fire doesn �t break down - it breaks out.

17 Feb 2010     

Stepha
Portugal

I was watching...a fire broke down.
How did it happen?
Someone dropped...

II Where did you lose them?
I had gone shopping... I saw that I had left...

This is how I would do it. Hope it helps

17 Feb 2010     

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Thanks a lot! You are so helpful! But is it possible - I was going shopping. Or only  - went shopping. And what about - had gone shopping (Frankly speaking, I think we cant say so.) 

17 Feb 2010     

apayala
Spain

had gone shopping can sound ok to me

was going shopping doesn�t sound ok to me

17 Feb 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

these sentences are so easy that personally i do not understand why you, my dear compatriot, need other teachers � help. as for the last line, i think that the past simple is the best choice because the actions follow one after another, besides you have "time mark" - yesterday.

17 Feb 2010     

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Thanks for help. Than I shall write - went shopping.

17 Feb 2010     

Alyona C.
Ukraine

priorita, thanks for your explanation. Only this part makes me think. And now i undrestand it.

17 Feb 2010     

Stepha
Portugal

I used had gone shopping because it talks about a past situation that took place before another past situation and in that case past perfect is the time we should use

17 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Apayala and Stepha are both right. It is a continuous narrative, so the simple past all along works fine. Since the shopping took place before the returning, the past perfect is also correct. The past perfect makes the story sound a little more formal, and since this is a very casual conversation, I would go for the simple past.

"I was going shopping" would imply some kind of interruption. "I was going shopping when I saw that my front tire was flat, so I had to stay home."
Bruce

18 Feb 2010