Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Oral exams    

Oral exams

MsPoppins
Spain

Oral exams

Dear All,

I teach teenagers (12-18) and there is a part in teaching I find really hard: marking an oral exam and giving feedback to my students. I would like to ask you the procedure you use when marking an oral exam. How do you do it?

Personally, I have changed since I started teaching. At present, I always take down notes on a personal notebook and I devote one day in class to comment each of my students � performance individually. However, I feel they forget about everything I tell them immediately. I keep repeating and repeating the same guidelines once and again.

Besides, I would like to have a standardized ws that I could give them after each oral exam. I have some ideas in mind but I find it difficult to put them into a piece of paper. Do you remember if somebody has ever uploaded one of the kind? It would be nice to download it and get started to develop my own.

I feel I haven �t found a procedure I �m happy with yet. I would love to hear what you do and if it works.

Thanks a lotSmile

18 Feb 2010      

missveronica
Argentina

I usually prepare a grid with the things I must pay attention to so as to be as fair as possible and then I prepare a report for the kids, telling him/her shortly where it went right and where it failed
The info included is usually
PRONUNCIATION
GRAMMAR
FLUENCY
ATTITUDE
If the oral includes a subject they have to study, such as a book or lesson I also include the KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUBJECT
If many ppl make the same mistake I make a point out of it to clarify for everyone

18 Feb 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Some ideas here.

18 Feb 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Thanks a lot missveronica and aftab57 Smile

18 Feb 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I use a modified rubrics from the example at everythinges.net, the last website aftab recommended. It �s very clear for sts to understand guidelines and check what they should improve. Or at least it works for me ...

18 Feb 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I love the way FCE interviews are organised and implemented. I use that method a lot.
Here �s one link http://www.ukstudentlife.com/English/Exams/Oral.htm, though there are plenty more. You can adapt the questions and method to what you need, but it �s really useful.

18 Feb 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Thanks a lot aliciapc and anitarobi Smile

19 Feb 2010