Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > SKYPE    

nika114
Greece

I saw aliciapc �s message about skypeand I woulf like to tell you how I use it.

In Greece,most children have an adsl internet connection nowdays.Also,most of them have a camera to talk on MSN.

I use skype to contact the ones who have a problem or those who want something more .We arrange a time from x to z ,I let parents know why I call and appoint tasks to them which I follow day after day.It is vey tiresome and I have to keep special notes for each student as well as copies of the assigned hmw but IT WORKS.
No student likes studing vocabulary and no one understands the importance of review but because they are waiting for the call about the x day �s words they do study.A mini videoconference?

Maybe you will not believe it but I had one FCE student who is now able to take the test because of this everyday contact.

Of course,I have become what here in Greece call "baboulas". their big,bad wolf,but despite the trouble ,it is worth it when I look at the results.

As for aliciapc �s suggestion to communicate through skype,I believe it is worth it.Maybe Victor can think of some rules to do it between ourselves and our students without compromising the integrity of ESLprintables.

18 Feb 2010      

lshorton99
China

My school did something amazing with Skype - I thought you might be interested. For our younger learners, they got Santa Claus to call - the guy who organised it (I wish I could remember his name!) got a list of the students names before class so he, dressed as Fsther Christmas on the webcam, could say something personal to each of them! They absolutely loved it!

18 Feb 2010     

nika114
Greece

I had a private esl school in Greece and I used Tandberg videoconferecing equipment and I also had a contact with Mrs Claus,not Santa himself,the Australian coral reef where divers talked to us and showed us fish,corals and shark,and Nasa which talked to us about Mars and some other places.An american school was connected at the same time and we could all 3 talk together when we talked to Nasa..Amazing experience.Then it was telephone connection through ISDN lines and for some of it I am proud to have been the first (and last) in Greece and in the caseof Nasa 2nd in Europe.I am sure that now with adsl is easier but it is difficult to find people who want to try such adventurers.
I was told that adsl is not as stable when connecting as ISDN but who wants to experiment?
Forgive me for finding the opportunity to brag and boast .
I would be very willing ro try it with you
Sorry again for the  boasting

18 Feb 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi friends
It seems to me that, no matter as fast I run , this spinning world, runs faster than me.

I have used MSN messenger to get in touch. I have lessons in the morning and in the afternoon I am on messenger. My students keep in touch, at the very begining very slowly, ( they are told they have to write in English, except if they really have a problem ) and, step by step, they come like mushrooms -it �s very nice, very funny, very... very ... whatever you want to call it, but I �ll tell you it �s deeply time consuming. It �s good in what concerns to relationship with students, but I am not sure if they improve their English that much.

Just another opinion, if you get the perfect solution, or almost, please, don �t forget to let me know.

Hug
hugs
linda

18 Feb 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Actually Linda, I wasn �t thinking about Skype with sts, mainly because in my country I can �t count on every student having access to it, so it would be unfair for the ones who don �t (many!) and not really organised as group work.
Lshorton and nika, your schools surely have more resources to come up with projects like that! Amazing! I think we would all like to have the chance to share such activities with ss but in this case I was just talking about chatting among us teachers.
I �ve got some PMs from colleagues who would like that, maybe chat, maybe phoning one another - since it �s free!
So, that �s all I suggested, what do you think?

19 Feb 2010