Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > doubt    

doubt

WestHampstead
Spain

doubt

swimming costume is just for men?
thanks

21 Feb 2010      

Isabel L
Spain

Hi,

in fact, swimming costume is for women; swimming trunks is for men.

21 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi WestHampstead

Isabel is right, swimming costume refers to women �s swimwear.

However, this word is not universally used and there are a host of other names for swimwear.  Where I currently live we say bathers for both female and male swimwear (grab your bathers - we �re going to the beach) but on the other side of the country the terminology is totally different and bathers is unknown . It all depends on where you are and what terminology is used.  A universal word is swimwear as this covers everything for men and women and is generally understood (imho).

Cheers

Jayho

21 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Oh... swimming costume is very old fashioned. When I hear the term "bathing/swimming costume", I think of the old suits that men and women wore in the olden days that practically covered all their whole bodies!

I �d say swimsuits, swimming suit, swim trunks, bathing suit... but not swimming costume just because it sounds like something my great grandmother would have worn! LOL

21 Feb 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

LOL @ Zora Thumbs Up

21 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I hate to dissappoint you Zora but in Sydney they do say swimming costume - even my brother has been indoctrinated to say swimming costume and he didn �t even grow up with that word.  However, his wife also says cozzie and swimmers.

All the words you mentioned (except maybe bathing suit) wouldn�t be used in a pink fit where I currently live - maybe being in the most isolated capital city in the world we don�t fit the norm.

Interestingly, in one part of Australia swimwear is called togs!  "Grab your togs we�re going for a swim" (and I might just now do that considering our hot summer is still lingering).

21 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Aussies are just weird! LOL 

21 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Ha ha Zora - good one - must be because we are at the bottom of the world Embarrassed

21 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

LOL - probably. Though, I must admit that it �s very interesting to find out that certain things are still used in main stream English.

It �s like in Canada, we use "chesterfield" for couch or sofa... most people look at us a little strangely for that one! lol... So I guess that we are all strange in nice fuzzy way. Thumbs Up

21 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

-- to us a chesterfield is a particular style of leather sofa and not just any old sofa.

and look, if you click here you will see that Australia is no longer at the bottom of the world ...

21 Feb 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I usually teach my students �bathing suit � , that seems pretty universally recognized....
Jayho even admitted people might know it all the way down south......☺

21 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >