Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I feel uneasy, but I need to ask you    

I feel uneasy, but I need to ask you

mariby22
United States

I feel uneasy, but I need to ask you

Dear Friends, especially native speakers
Do you consider the word "bastard" a swear word? I had a student come up to me saying that he saw some movie where the father told his son something like "you, lazy bastard". I did not know what to say

Please help me resolve my confusion...

24 Feb 2010      

teacher jessie
Argentina

I �m not a native but I �ve heard it in movies and TV as a swear word.

24 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

The expression - you lazy bastard - means - that he doesn �t do anything useful - it is an expression and doesn �t actually relate to the real meaning of bastard which means a person born out-of-wedlock.
I explain "bad" words to my pupils - then I tell them that they aren �t considerd acceptable language and that they have to be very careful who they use them with.

I hope this helps.
Barbara ( native speaker)

24 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

I agree with Barb. Smile

And "bastard" is a very strong swear word, if used on it �s own.

24 Feb 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I totally agree with Barb and Zora

It is a trash-can swear word.  I hope all the teachers here are working hard
to give their students a good language.
Unfortunately - we �re up against all the B-films they show on television
where they use gutter language and kids hear it and think it �s ok to use it.
If you called someone that in the States - you �d be in a lot of trouble.

24 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I�m with the others.

It�s totally unacceptable for our students to use this language nethertheless it is essential that they do understand it and also understand why it is unacceptable.

There is a lot of unacceptable language used in movies and often students use it not knowing the why�s and wherefore�s.  I cringe whenever I near NNS using this language in the wrong context.

24 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

I used to try to explain to my students why bad language wasn �t acceptable with little success. Now I have a simple technique when they want to use swear words. I use a common swear word in Spanish and ask them if it sounds ridiculous coming from a non-native speaker. They all laugh and say yes. I tell them that �s what they sound like if they swear in English. They never swear again!

Wink

25 Feb 2010