Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ask for help!    

Ask for help!

savvinka
Russian Federation

Ask for help!

Dear Collegues, 

SHALL OR WILL?

I probably missed smth, but I don �t know what �s about shall in the 1st person sing/plural in informal speech nowadays. We  discussed it with sts today. They assured me that nobody say I/we shall anymore, it �s not cool to use it, I told
them that we often don �t pronounce it at all I �ll, we �ll..., so it doesn �t matter in speech,
also I promised to check with native speakers. And if I write I will meet my friend
in a test, will it be a mistake?
Thanks for your attention.

25 Feb 2010      

dufffy
France

Shall  for the future( only used with I and we) is used only in very formal speech and is a little old fashion, but we do use it a lot for suggestions Shall we go to the lesson now?!

25 Feb 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

In my opinion your students are right.
The whole

I shall
you will etc.

Conjugation of will is archaic, it is only used in Britain as far as I know, and only by some very old people or pedants.
In Ireland and America people never use the word "Shall" at all! Not even for questions or suggestions (maybe in some regions, but as far as I know.. )

In the Cambridge exams you certainly will not be penailsed for not using "I shall" any more than you would be penalized for not saying "Thou shalt"

25 Feb 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Shall is used as a modal (like in duffy �s example). But it isn �t used as an auxilary verb in colloquial speech anymore.

25 Feb 2010     

alien boy
Japan

just a little information from Swann �s Practical English usage about the difference between will & shall:

differences between will and shall

Will and shall are not only used for giving information about the future. They are also common in offers, promises, orders and similar kinds of  �interpersonal � language use. In these cases, will (or �ll) generally expresses willingness or wishes (this is connected with an older use of will to mean  �wish � or �want �). Shall expresses obligation (like a more direct form of should).

If you have access to Swann �s book you will find a lot of information about British use of shall & also examples of how it �s used in America.

Unlike Rabbit Who, I don �t here it just from very old people or pedants... there is a definite difference in intent when shall is used rather than will. It may however be indistinguishable in meaning when conjugated unless the listener & speaker are aware of the other �s intentions. It �s more a case of how broad an individual �s vocabulary is & whether they are aware of the difference or not! It may also be influenced by one �s social/cultural group.

Cheers,
AB

25 Feb 2010     

izulia
China

In my school most of our teachers are British, but I remember only one elderly couple that used shall in the first person, e.g. I shall go to the green market tomorrow morning. It did sound a bit archaic and old fashioned.

25 Feb 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Alien Boy I was not talking about those uses of shall (suggestions, questions, etc) when I said it was for the elderly and pedants. "Shall I open the window?" Is very modern British English English. (Yes English English, because I don �t know if they would say that in Scotland?)
I was speaking of the old way of conjugating the future simple:

I shall
you will
he will/we will
you will
they will
we shall

Which is just silly! Are you honestly telling me  you say "I shall answer the phone" instead of "I will answer the phone. or "I shall do my homework tonight." Instead of "I �m going to do my homework tonight? "If it is sunny this weekend, we shall have a picnic." I �ve never heard any but the very old and pedantic say those things! Unless I happen to be reading "The Railway Children". 

Maybe it �s an Australian thing! ;)

25 Feb 2010     

douglas
United States

In my everyday speech (US native) I don �t use shall except for the one phrase:

"Shall we?"

25 Feb 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

I agree with Douglas (British native).

25 Feb 2010     

cchat
France

The main reason for the disappearance of shall is that we almost never use the full form in normal speech, but rather say:

I �ll go and get it.

I �ll do it.

I �ll see.

so it �s almost impossible to know whether the person was intending to use shall or will.

However, for suggestions, I always use Shall I? Shall we? but an Irish friend uses Will I? Will we?

I �m English, but not too pedantic, I hope. Smile

25 Feb 2010     

cchat
France

The main reason for the disappearance of shall is that we almost never use the full form in normal speech, but rather say:

I �ll go and get it.

I �ll do it.

I �ll see.

so it �s almost impossible to know whether the person was intending to use shall or will.

However, for suggestions, I always use Shall I? Shall we? but an Irish friend uses Will I? Will we?

I �m English, but not too pedantic, I hope. Smile

25 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >