Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Interesting things you learn as you travel    

Interesting things you learn as you travel

roneydirt
United States

Interesting things you learn as you travel

One I had my computer stolen and have been working on saving for a new one.  I was interested to see some advice on a new laptop.  Some of the requirements:
1) future online teaching, virtual classes
2) use multiple sites at the same time
3) make virtual movies for classroom activities
4) fixed in any country
5) games both at home and school
6) play movies (then again most can do this now.
7) others, might be forgetting something.

Now a sad note to those of us as teachers in the TEFL field.  It seems you don �t have to take a TEFL class to get certified or even have a degree to work in the city I am located.  It seems to me easier to get a job here in Shanghai with no degree then with a teaching degree.  Fake diplomas.  It is not the governments fault because some greedy individuals created and are using loopholes to do this.  As a teacher I find it disturbing.  I know in some form or another it happens everywhere just not this prevalent.  What other cities seem to fall into this problem?  How can we make it better?

Now since I have no computer I am dependent on other teachers to get a chance to use their computers and emails.  I hope to get on in the near future to see the answers.

28 Feb 2010      

teachertonyinchina
China

I find it disturbing too, I live in China also. I have seen many people teaching English who are not native speakers, the school tells them to tell everyone they are from a native speaking country. When I worked in Thailand every teacher had to have a degree, and be a native speaker. Canadians are tested in English as the Thai education authorities class Canada as a bilingual country and want to be sure that they know and speak English well. But in China some schools don�t care about the quality of education only about making money.

28 Feb 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

In Moscow any youngster from Britain will be most  wellcome to teach English and will be paid highly as he �s a native speaker. I used to teach grammar in a  private school and  the  students of the London University played the teachers there. My hairdresser has been paying
much to a pivate tutor from Britain ( a boy of 20) within three years (two lessons a week) but in the end her son couldn �t pass his exam at school. So the Russian worship foreigners! It �s a historical fact!

28 Feb 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

It �s a crazy industry. In Australia & NZ we are expected to have a degree and a TESOL or CELTA qualification and then we are paid very lttle more than my students who are working as casual dishwashers!
Go figure!!!!!!

28 Feb 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello Roney,
Sorry to hear your laptop was stolen, that �s nasty.
Let �s see...basically any laptop can be fixed in any country, the main thing is not all cities in different countires can have official service centers. So if you are planning to stay in China for a while than check if there are enough service centers in the area.
Make sure to choose a laptop with 4 USB ports, 2 are never enough. If you are going to play games than make sure that your laptop has enough space for everything and the latest video card requirements.
Just some random ideas that came into my mind...Oh and think about the operating system. Some say Windows 7 is not good, some like it better. But here you should ask someone more professional.

As for the teaching ESL...well, not all native speakers have certificates here.  My friend worked as an ESL teacher in South Korea while he was just traveling around the world. Nobody asked him for any certificates. I agree with what Savvinka has said about situation in Russia.

28 Feb 2010     

donapeter
Romania

In Romania we need the University and the pedagogical  module for teaching. After graduating the University we have to pass a national exam and we choose the school according to our grades at the exam( the highest grade chooses first and so on). Substitute teachers have to repeat the exam every two years and take another school until they get the mark to be able to choose a permanent school.  
It �s quite difficult to have your place in a school and ....imagine that we earn about 250 euros/month. 

28 Feb 2010     

Damielle
Argentina

I don �t know why China, Korea and some other countries ask the ESL teacher to be native speakers. Here, as in many other countries teachers need a TEFL degree to teach at schools and university, no matter theri procedence,  and the standards are quite good.

I have seen that some native speakers who come here to teach are a real failure because they master the language but not the pedagogical issue. Here, good use of language, near native pronunciation and skillfulness in pedagogical issues are paramount to choose a teacher and the final results are really good.

28 Feb 2010     

shusu-euphe
Taiwan

It applies the same in Taiwan, they believe  native  speakers are better maybe because they use it day to day and of course the accent.

28 Feb 2010