Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can someone give me a hand     

Can someone give me a hand

natdar
Italy

Can someone give me a hand

Is it possible to say i �m having an appointment at the doctor �s on Monday.  It sounds strange to me . Does it concern state verbs or is it correct . Let me know .

28 Feb 2010      

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Well, I think the sentence is correct. You can use the present continuous with a future meaning whenever you �re talking about scheduled events.
Have a nice week!

28 Feb 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Yes it does sound weird. You can say I �m having lunch with friends on Monday, though. What �s the difference? the "have" in "have lunch" is an action, whereas "have" in "have an appointment" is a state. And State Verbs are not usually used in the continuous form. Hope this helps. 

28 Feb 2010     

luc8625
Belgium

you  could say I �m seeing the doctor on Monday, but what you said seems correct to me.
Have a nice day.
Luc

28 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

I agree with Colibrita. Smile

It should be "I have an appointment at the doctor�s on Monday."

28 Feb 2010     

dgurule
United States

I also agree with Colibrita.

28 Feb 2010     

libertybelle
United States

It sounds strange to me.

I would either say:
I have a doctor �s appointment on Monday
or as Zora wrote:
I have an appointment at the doctor �s on Monday.

28 Feb 2010     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

I think you should have a look at this site:
Perhaps everything will be clear then!

28 Feb 2010     

Ayaniw
Algeria

I agree with Fallen Angel.
The sentence "I �m having an appointment with the doctor." is OK. Here, it �s the use of present continuous for future arrangement.

28 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

I definitely agree with colibrita that state verbs usually aren �t used in present continuous, even for future arrangement.

Bruce

1 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Sorry Ayaniw - it �s not ok - it doesn �t sound right - NS don �t say it like that, ever.  Regardless of what websites might say these websites don�t always delve deeper into one�s specific issue (e.g.  the website link given by Fallen Angel, like many grammar sites,  doesn�t address state verbs)

Have is both a state and event verb and like Colobrita said that is where the difference lies.  State verbs are generally not used in continuous tenses.  Just refer to any good grammar book, such as Parrot or Swan, to clarify.
The  BBC site touches on it and provides an example of have as both an event and state verb. 

Natdr, as a NS I recommend you go with what Colobrita, Yanogator, Zora and Libertybelle say.  They are correct

Cheers

Jayho

1 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >