Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Can you help me?    

Can you help me?

catiahenriques
Portugal

Can you help me?

Hi everyone.
I �ve got a class of 6th grade. This Thursday a new student came to the class. She is Chinese. She doesn�t speak too much Portuguese and she never had English.  I don�t kow what to do.
How can I help her?
I tried to teach her the personal pronouns sitting next her but other students started to calling me. 
Have you ever been in a similar situation?
 At the I�m teaching daily routine.
Where can I find materials to give her?
Thanks
C�tia

28 Feb 2010      

coasvaf
Portugal

Hi C�tia! You �re right, it �s not easy to manage such a situation. I �ve already been in the same situation with an Ucranian student in grade 8! He couldn �t speak Portugurse nor English. We started by agreeing/defining different, specific aims for him. Then I started conceiving differentiated tasks for him. For instance, for the daily routine I �d take a basic listening activity and work on a very simple ws for that listening activity. Of course, you have to give her more attention, but try to keep the other students engaged in a more demanding activity and working in groups so that they may get some feedback from each others.
Hope it helps.
Best wishes and nice work.   

28 Feb 2010