Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help, please.    

Help, please.

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Help, please.

The task is to ask question about the information in bold.

The 2000 Olympic games took place in Sydney.

What did take place ... ? or What took place ...? (I think the second one)

One more thing - Word order in Passive:

A pupil was brought by the teacher to the headmistress or to the headmistress by the teacher.

By whom, how, where, when - what is the correct order? (as a plan)

Thanks!!!

2 Mar 2010      

kenab
Slovenia

to the headmistress by the teacher.  The subject of the act. sentence is usually placed at the end of the passive s. when we want to know the doer of the action.

2 Mar 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

What took place... definitely, because you �re asking for the subject. It �s like asking Who killed Roger Rabbit? You don �t say Who did kill... - when you ask for the subject with who (what) the order of the words is the same as in the positive/negative sentence.

A pupil was brought to the headmistress by the teacher. I would also choose this one, although, frankly, I �m not sure why - I guess it �s just because it is customary to place the agent (by the teacher) at the very end of the sentence. But I believe that in your sentence, both is actually possible, depending on which is more important. As for the question, it �s definitely by whom

My high school English teacher taught us the simple word order plan SVOPT - subject, verb, object, place, time; with the option to move place/time to the begininning or the end of thesentence, depending on their length and importance. This formula works great with statements, though both of your examples are exceptions to the rule...

2 Mar 2010     

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Thank you!

2 Mar 2010