Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I ´m confused!    

I ´m confused!

stevenji
China

I ´m confused!

There is a multiple choice like this:

Charles was alone at home, with _________ looking after him.

A. someone             B. anyone                C. not one               D. no one

The answer is "not one", but I don �t quite understand what �s the difference between "not one" and "no one", and don �t you think "no one" is also proper here?

5 Mar 2010      

roneydirt
United States

not one is incorrect.  It would be" with no one looking after him." 

5 Mar 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Yep, Roneydirt �s right. No wonder you were confused, Stevenji!

5 Mar 2010     

mjpa
Spain

Yes, I agree with roneydirt and colibrita. The correct answer is "no one" undoubtely.

5 Mar 2010     

stevenji
China

Hehe:)Than you, I see now. There�re some mistakes in the web.

5 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Roneydirt is correct. 
The only way the answer could be correct using not one - would be if the sentence said:

Charles was alone at home, with not one single person around to look after him.

5 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

"no one" is a word which somehow has never been combined so that it looks like a word. (Or I should say it functions as a word)
 It is the opposite of "someone". For this reason you often see it misspelled as noone or no-one.

As liberty-belle said it means the same as "not one person" . 
Someone means the same as "one (non-specific) person"

None of us has actually managed to explain the grammar to you yet, perhaps look it up in a grammar book.

"not one" has to go with something, eg. "not one chair, not one table, not one cat, not one person"

5 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

"No" goes with adjectives/plural nouns - "no blue houses are found here". / "no animals are allowed in my house."

"Not" - with singular nouns - "Not a house that is blue can be found on this street." / "Not an animal, nor a dirty child may enter my house..."

More or less that is a general rule...

5 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I do like your example, Linda!!
"Not an animal, nor a dirty child may enter my house..." LOL

Have a nice week end!!

5 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

LOL - Mariethe... I was tired and this week, I �ve had "bathroom issues" with my little boys and their dreadful aim!  LOL

5 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I would prefer "Neither an animal nor a dirty child..."

but I had a disagreement about this with someone recently and it turns out the other way is acceptable:

Usage Note: When using neither in a balanced construction that negates two parts of a sentence, nor (not or) must be used in the second clause: She is neither able nor (not or) willing to go. Similarly, when negating the second of two negative independent clauses, nor (not or) must be used: He cannot find anyone now, nor does he expect to find anyone in the future; Jane will never compromise with Bill, nor will Bill compromise with Jane. Note that in these constructions, nor causes an inversion of the auxiliary verb and the subject (does he ... will Bill ...). However, when a verb is negated by not or never, and is followed by a verb phrase that is also to be negated (but not an entire clause), either or or nor can be used: He will not permit the change, or (or nor) even consider it. In noun phrases of the type no this or that, or is actually more common than nor: He has no experience or interest (less frequently nor interest) in chemistry. Or is also more common than nor when such a noun phrase, adjective phrase, or adverb phrase is introduced by not: He is not a philosopher or a statesman. They were not rich or happy. See Usage Notes at neither, or1.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/NOR

But anyway that �s straying off the point...

5 Mar 2010