Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Often    

Often

minso
Egypt

Often

hello guys
 i have a question please , in my whole life i know that the word often we don �t pronounce the /t/ sound but lately i diecovered that it could be pronounced so which one is correct?

5 Mar 2010      

AACG
Argentina

Both are ok.

5 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

Yes, both are fine. In fact, I often pronounce the "t". Smile

5 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

My students also get puzzled, and I have a hard time explaining that some parts of the world pronounce the �t � in often, but I have to say that I have never heard the �t � being pronounced in "listen" for example. Does it also have the �t � pronounced in some regions?!

Thanks.

5 Mar 2010     

eng789
Israel

You wouldn �t pronounce the "t" in soften so I just tell my pupils that it is silent to save confussion.
No, you don �t hear the "t" in listen either. 

No wonder our pupils have such a hard time learning English.  Wink

5 Mar 2010     

rmouh
Morocco

�I used to be taught by a Scottish and he told me that they pronounce the "t" there.

5 Mar 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

I pronounce the �t � and teach my students to pronounce it as when it comes to spelling the word it makes it easier.

5 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s optional, but I �ve always thought that pronouncing the �t � is more of an affectation, particularly among people who wish to be thought of as �educated �. It �s a bit like people who use �whilst � instead of �while �...

Oh, by the way, rmouh, I �m Scottish, or Scots, or a Scotsman (not a Scottish) and I �ve never used that intrusive �t �.

5 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I pronounce the �t� in often.

Both forms are perfectly acceptable in Australia and our national dictionary lists both forms.

There�s a very interesting article here on the history of the pronunciation of the �t�.

Cheers  --  Jayho

6 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, Jayho, it is a very interesting article. Very interesting, but it doesn �t really support - in fact, it takes the rip out of - your preferred pronunciation.  Do you really say �off-ten � often? Am I hearing Kath & Kim here?

6 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

It �s a softer "t" sound than that... LOL

"Oft-en" not "Off-ten" Wink

6 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >