Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Is it about popularity??    

Is it about popularity??

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Is it about popularity??

Dear fellow teachers,

first I �d like to thank you all for your lovely and extremely useful contributions. (Printables and forum posts!!)

On a not so positive note I �d like to ask why is it that it seems to depend on the popularity of a user how many THANK YOU comments they get?

I have a ws among the most recent printables with 155 downloads so far (by the way thank you so so much for downloading it) and it has 14 thank you notes.

At the same time there �s one of Mena �s wss having the same number of downloads but 24 "thank yous".

This is not about envy or jealousy as I like Mena as well as Mena �s work very, very much and have told her so a few times before! I�m just wondering, that�s all.

Katiana �s wss, which are also very good, usually get loads of THANK YOU comments, too. New members with fewer points but the same amount of downloads in a day don �t get as many thank you comments at all.

What do you think? Does it have to do with popularity??

Thanks a bunch in advance, topolina

8 Mar 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi there,

Don �t be sad, topolina.

I think some of your observations are quite accurate. On average people get a comment per every ten to five downloads. So, your grammar poster is doing just fine! I have noticed that people who are frequent thankers themselves have gotten more people to thank them even though their ws were not so popular as far as the total amount of downloads goes. Keep contributing what you find useful and don �t worry about whether or not others express their gratitude. I had a family memory in the ws yesterday and I liked it very much, it had little hearts all drawn in MS word and very cute pics....it only got less than 15 people interested and one person found it worthy of being thanked for.....I still like it. Then again, people praise others for ws that are....well...let me find words......hum.....not as great as the comments would make you believe...but who am I to judge? Most people here share for the sake of sharing, some do so because they want to be praised, it seems to me...pretty much reminds me of a Simpsons episode, the one where Lisa couldn�t go to school anymore and begged people to evaluate her performance.....don�t remember the season, was an early one, though. But this here wants to be and is a happy community, so I better stop. This IS a great place to be! I downloaded some great ws last we and, in return, I made a game for little kids just to share here....

Back to your original question. Think of it like that: Your ws might be that great that others simply don �t want to leave a trace back to them when they copy it later or use it as a basis for an own ws and.......happened to a ws that I reported last week, the original ws was from 2008 ;o)))))

The fact that you even say something here tells me that you care and that you are a nice person. Sending you a hug. 

Regina

8 Mar 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Nice and wise words, Regina
Hugs.
Ana

8 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

So I guess I �m right. ;)))))))

Thank you very much dear Regina for sharing your POV which I second.

8 Mar 2010     

veljaca82
Australia

I write "thank you" to every contribution I download because I really appreciate the hard work and generosity of people who share it - whether it is an old or new member - it doesn �t really matter. So, you shouldn �t be worried so much.

Good luck!

And... Thanks for sharingWink

Snjezana

8 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I �m not worried at all, Snjezana!! Just wondering. ;))

This thread wasn �t about you and all those other users who  always  leave a comment, just about those ones who only praise the � big � contributors in the site.

8 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Even though your view is accurate, Topolina, I guess we could say that we �re dealing with humans here, and that �s kinda a reflex from the world we live.

I have to say that I, myself, am quite a bit "Pollyanna", my students tell me that I greet them like a telemarketer, and others have told me that I even may sound fake at times (my husband included). But that �s how I am and I like others to be with me.  However, I don �t mind the thank you �s I get, and I admit I don �t leave a comment every time I download a ws. But what I do care is the comments, rather than the �thank you �s �. When someone says something about my ws or my game, even a critical one like, "it could use some more exercises", I always take the time to answer back, because I like those feedbacks.

Saying thank you it �s nice, but it can be very automatic, and for me they don �t mean the world. I leave comments when I see outstanding wss, ones that for sure will help me a lot.

I download my 30 wss everyday, even when I feel I won �t use some, because it can help me at some point, in a test for my students, or extra exercises. But when I see a ws that is different and is definitely going to make my students develop their English, I can �t NOT say something for that fellow teacher.

And I guess I care more about these kind of comments than the thank you �s. And maybe that �s why I don �t say thank you all the time.

Although, I confess that being nice is the least we could do.

See you around topolina and everyone.

8 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

I would second bruna :-) I don �t leave a comment every time.
But I love suggestions and critical comments on my work! Thank you �s can be automatic, as Bruna said. Most downloaders don �t even OPEN the worksheet before they say thanks. So they simply express their gratitude, they don �t have a chance to EVALUATE the USEFULNESS OR QUALITY of the worksheet...
I would love to have a system to trace the wss back and to be able to comment it few days/weeks later... Sort of a list of downloaded worksheets in my account, so I could find the author easily and download more works from her/him...

PS: When I see a nice original worksheet with FEW thank yous, I do ALWAYS leave a comment to  encourage the author to share more ...
Dear friends,  be so kind and WRITE your USERNAME in the properties of the file or at the end of the worksheet PLEASE!

8 Mar 2010     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Shocking and pathetic.

11 Mar 2010