Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dear collegues    

Dear collegues

Mabdel
Morocco

Dear collegues

Hi everybody!
am just a little bit confused abt this sentence what do we say is it "was getting or got"" taking into consideration that the action to get into is a short action
When I (get) ......into the car yesterday. I dropped my bag.
Thanks in advance i always appreciate your help.

8 Mar 2010      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Even if it �s a short action,it �s still an action, so no problem with saying "was getting". Another thing you may want to take into account is if you say "When I got into the car, I dropped my bag" this will mean: First, I got into the car and then I dropped my bag. BUT if you say "When I was getting into the car, I dropped my bag", this will mean: I was in the process of getting into my car and at that same time i dropped my bag". It �s up to you to choose the form, depending on what you want to say. 

8 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

It depends on the meaning, although we more commonly use �while � with the past continuous.

When I was getting into the car I dropped my keys means the two actions happened simultaneously.

When I got into the car I dropped my keys means first you got into the car, then you dropped your keys.

Hope that helps!

8 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I �d go for �when I got into the car yesterday I dropped my bag�, because I agree with you that the action of getting into a car is so short that I wouldn �t use the past progressive here. Or you could say �while I was getting into the car I dropped my bag�!

8 Mar 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

thank u all for sharing valuable advice with us.

8 Mar 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi MABDEL

Please, listen

LOL
I am a very old woman, so I would prefer this:
Yesterday, WHEN I WAS GETTING into the car ( my God, sometimes it takes quite a while ) I dropped my bag.
You see, I am so old that I drop my bag in a glimpse and, sometimes I go round and round to try and get the way to get into the car.

Was it a fair explanation?
Hope so, I am not that old.Hug
linda

9 Mar 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Linda! You are sooo funny! You made me smile!!!
Thank you!!!
BTW the explanations are great!
was getting + dropped - actions happening at the same time - simultaneously
1. got into + 2. dropped - actions one after another. 7:40 got into a car, 7:41 dropped keys

9 Mar 2010     

eng789
Israel

It should be   -  While I was getting into the car I dropped my bag. 

we use past progressive after while not when - or at least that �s how I teach it in Junior high.

From another old lady
Barbara

9 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

You were in action when the bag fell so "was getting into" is the best answer.  "Got could indicate you were already in the car when you dropped it.

9 Mar 2010